• March 19, 2024, 02:01:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS ShareCenter - Why Did My ShareCenter IP Address Change?  (Read 7939 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DNS ShareCenter - Why Did My ShareCenter IP Address Change?
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

The IP address of a ShareCenter connected to a network is subject to change if the router is configured to use dynamically assigned IP addressing. By reserving the IP address on the router, the ShareCenter can be permanently assigned the same IP address.

Hypothetical Scenario That Could Cause a ShareCenter IP Address to Change:

• ShareCenter joins the network
  • Router assigns the next free IP address: 192.168.1.2
  • ShareCenter briefly loses power and drops from the network
  • Router releases the IP address (since the ShareCenter is no longer using it)
  • Laptop joins the network
  • Router assigns the laptop the next free IP address: 192.168.1.2
  • ShareCenter re-joins the network
  • Router assigns the next free IP address: 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.2 is no longer available)

Reserving an IP Address for a ShareCenter

The router web interface offers an option to reserve a specific IP address for any device on the network. Once an IP address is reserved (in the router) for the ShareCenter, the reserved IP address will always be assigned to the ShareCenter, even if the ShareCenter drops off and rejoins the network.

Note: The ShareCenter series provide an option to set a static IP address directly in the ShareCenter web interface. Although this option is available, an IP addresses should always be reserved from within the router web interface rather than the devices connected to the router. Setting a static IP address from within the ShareCenter may result in an addressing conflict if two devices are requesting the same static IP address. Connection issues may also arise if the router IP address range changes such that the ShareCenter static IP address falls outside of the newly defined range.

Benefits of Reserving an IP Address

• The IP address to access the ShareCenter web interface and data volumes will never change
  • Scheduled backup jobs between the ShareCenter and other network devices are dependent on a stable (non-changing) IP address
  • All reserved IP addresses are stored in one central location (i.e. the router), facilitating easy management
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:44:14 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC