• April 25, 2024, 06:13:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: QoS Won't Measure Uplink Speed if WAN port is set to 1000 Mbps  (Read 29639 times)

icemankent

• Level 2 Member
Re: QoS Won't Measure Uplink Speed if WAN port is set to 1000 Mbps
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »

Well, if I knew (how) the dgl is actually "calculating" the uplink speed, it might help in determining what possible causes of the issue might be.

Is it doing an extended ping to a d-link server, is it doing a speedtest.net type of test ?
Knowing this might help narrow it down to a device, an ISP, or a configuration anomaly somewhere.

All I know is that I have manually configured my uplink speed - as I cannot count on the DGL estimating it on a reboot - and I cannot afford to have my QoS scheme broken.
Ottawa, Ontario  (Canada)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 07:17:16 AM »

Then that works for you then. I do know that the DGL works for me here. Has ever since I've been using them and works well. I would presume there could be some issues with all the various ISP modems around as well.
Enjoy.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

WimpMiester

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »

I never had a problem with auto uplink speed until my uplink went from 2M to 4M.  Setting it manually works.

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »

From my experience, I don't think it is doing a speedtest.net type of test since that is actually a capacity test and not a true speed test.  So I think it does a true speed test. However regardless if the auto uplink works or not I would highly suggest not using it due to a couple of reasons.

1.  If for what ever reason your ISP is slow or having connection issues while the router is measuring your uplink it will be capped at that value even though there is more bandwidth available until the router runs another uplink speed test.  Noticed this quite often where I would run a speed test and I would only get 1-2 meg UL and then reset my router and it was back to 4-5meg.  So what ever the router measures your UL to be at that time is what you are stuck with until it measure it again.

2.  It does not take in consideration for ISP's using speedburst (traffic shaping)

3.  For some people it just does not work.

Some of these features are for the mass market, for people who just want to plug and play.  Most people only ever log into their router when they first install it and that's it.

Auto or convenience features usually cause more issues than resolve.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »

I would agree with you to a certain point. However, I think we need to take into account that when these older generation routers were developed, that ISP Uplink speeds were not much over 2Mbs for the average home users at the time. Maybe some big metro cities had some speeds that high however the majoritiy of home users nation wide was 1Mb or below. I can only presume that during this time frame, the routers being developed at the time, for what ever reason, might not have had any forethought of higher uplink speeds beyond what was available at the time from ISPs. So theres a good chance while in development, design and testing that the QoS engines in these routers, at the time, were done to maximize the UPlink speeds, at the time. We can only speculate however. I presume that DLink, like other Mfrs probably tested and maximized the use of there data and these engines  to work well and put the features and options in for those speeds during that time frame. Now since uplink speeds have increased greatly over the past few years, I can only presume that there could be some issues with these engines and dealing with faster speeds and also need to take into account newer generation ISP modems as well. Even though the protocols might not have changed for modems, were seeing newer modems that handle more options now and can do more things beside just interfacing with the ISP services and translating to the client. So there are other things that probably take in to account of what happens with these older generation routers.

It's unfortunate that some of these routers, probably will see a end of usefullness at some point, depending on ISPs and networking standards. IPv6 will eventually become the main stream, one day, and who's to say, that some ISPs will only support IPv6 connectivity, some day, and thus rendering some routers useless as they don't included any IPv6 support. I know thats an extreme thought. That will be a sad day for the 4500 and other good working routers. Until the, these routers are still great routers and we'll just have to tweak them to work well for each one of us that has encountered certain problems. They will work well, just gotta keep em going for those who need too.

My 2 cents
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.
Pages: 1 2 [3]