• April 26, 2024, 06:06:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320L now recognised by Windows 8.1 - DNS320 failed, migrate to new DNS320L  (Read 16890 times)

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member

This post follows on from my earlier post/thread under DNS320

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=58081.0

Well my nice shiny new NAS box DNS320L arrived today from Amazon and I was able immediately to format my 'new' WD 2GB disk through htp settings. Installed existing DNS320 WD 2GB disk, the one containing data, into the NAS box and both disks came up yellow!

Removed newly formatted disk and then SMART tested existing WD 2GB data disk, which passed.

Removed both disks, reinserted 'new' disk only and attempted instal using basic D-Link software, agreed to format disk again, now shows blue on NAS box.

Windows 8.1 cannot find this new box. My Nexus 7, picks up the device, but says 'the network name cannot be found' when I try to copy any data to the new disk.
Any suggestions?

My other question is - how do I install my old DNS 320 WD2GB data disk into my new DNS 320L while preserving its data and without being compelled to reformat the disk? I do not want any raid setup, just two independent disks, disk two backs up disk two.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:40:02 PM by paulpaul »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS320 failed, migrate to new DNS320L
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »

How are you trying to access the DNS-320L from Windows 8.1? Did you try to manually create a network map through Windows using the DNS-320L IP address? I recommend that you reserve an IP address for the DNS-320L through your router to ensure the IP won't change in the future.

As far as migrating your DNS-320 data, here is one option: DNS-320 - Data Recovery (Windows PCs). You'll need other DNS-320L owners with more experience dealing with DNS-320/DNS-320L data migrations to explore other alternatives.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:38:21 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »

I am using Windows 8.1 and Firefox.

Can you confirm that it is not possible to simply move a data disk formatted and in use from the DNS-320 to a DNS-320L? That the data needs to be removed from the DNS-320 disk, the disk then reformatted in the DNS-320L, and its data then replaced onto this clean formatted disk?

Apologies for appearing tedious, but I just need to fully understand my predicament before extracting the data from my original disk.

Effectively we should back up our NAS boxes, the NAS box is not a back up because when the box dies, the disks cannot just be reused.

Bugger!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:12:24 AM by paulpaul »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »

The question I cannot answer is whether or not the Volume was damaged as a result of whatever caused the DNS-320 to fail. The link I provided provides methods to mount the DNS-320 HDD on a Windows PC, so you can copy the contents to another storage location. That said, it's always best to maintain your backup of critical data on another physical device.

Are there other users who successfully migrated a DNS-320 volume to a DNS-320L?

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Assuming the data on the DNS-320 HDD is fine, and the HDD itself is ok, could it be simply inserted into the new DNS-320L and accessed without having to reformat the HDD?

I am aware of the process of extracting data from the DNS-320 formatted HDD outside the NAS box.

When I place the 'new' HDD into the DNS-320L, it appears to complete the DLINK installation process including the long format but returns the disk as having 0TB of storage space. The DNS-320 is mapped from Windows 8.1 and accepts the NAS passwords. No volume is shown, only the ip.

This drive works fine when formatted under Windows 8.1.

Is the DNS320L compatible with this wretched Windows 8.1?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »

Are you mapping the the Volume or just the IP address?

The map should be \\192.168.x.x\Volume_1 and \\192.168.x.x\Volume_2, etc.
DNS ShareCenter - Mapping a DNS ShareCenter Device (IP vs. Volume Name)

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »

Yes I map the volume as shown in the examples. The return information says the ip The address is there, but the volume name is not identified.

Windows 8.1 does not show any DNS-320L server, with or without a volume. My Android Nexus 7 automatically detects the Server and name, but does not see any volume.
I cannot format the DNS-320L within windows 8.1 but I have tried this again within Nexus 7, the setup and format appears to work but with no recognizable volume at the end. No SMART option or disk scan.

I am wondering if having first formatted this HDD in Windows 8.1 before working through the NAS setup and format, the original Windows format has compromised the HDD for use in a NAS server. Something about initialization and that formatting does not erase all data.

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:24 AM »

Still no joy. >:(

I cannot even map the DNS-320L within Windows 8.1. Tried the Microsoft web site for issues with windows not recognizing the NAS, which may help some folks.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/17c9ea7d-52df-4ef9-95fa-0a961d11bfa3/fix-for-cannot-access-nas-drives-sharefolder-is-not-accessible-or-error-code-0x80070035

Also:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/028a3d13-f571-49e0-abe7-1ca61fb92082/error-code-0x80070035-the-network-path-was-not-found?forum=w7it****etworking

The box is recognized through Android ES File Explorer and Firefox.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:44:26 AM by paulpaul »

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »

I am reaching the stage where I believe the DNS-320L is not compatible with the Windows 8.1 operating system and will be returned to Amazon.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Are there other DNS-320L owners who are successfully using their ShareCenter on a Windows 8 PC that could lend some assistance to this member?

koadrian

• Level 2 Member

At-least you install java script on windows 8.1.

silicone

• Level 1 Member

I just purchased my 320L and it's going back after having the problems described in this thread. I can't believe it but I would call this completely useless to the average user if it's not automatically announced to the network computers on windows 8.1.  After viewing this forum for the first time it's evident that DLink does not support their products.

paulpaul

• Level 1 Member

Although I had tested the new 2TB WD HDD and it had passed various tests, a later  check and final test using WD's own simple diagnostic software failed the disk due to ,Too many disk errors. The Amazon reseller refused a return on the faulty HDD but as the HDD was well within warranty WD sent out an immediate replacement.
Having reset the DNS-320L I used the full D-LINK propriety setup software from their web site, not ftp, and installed and formatted the disks without any problems. Windows 8.1 was a little flakey in recognizing the new volume but after the usual crash and blue screen of death, appears to have accepted the NAS drive under its new drive letter. The network side remains unstable, there may be a line issue somewhere, but the NAS box itself works. The new volume was immediately picked up under android and no issues under Firefox ftp. So good progress.

Transferring data to this new disk is really slow, average 4MB/sec. I could not get the NAS box to recognize a usb ext4 HDD caddy, which I thought would give the fastest transfer rates. The constant stalling is a pain too.

Hope someone might benefit from these experiences.