• April 19, 2024, 05:00:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Raid 1 drive capacity upgrade  (Read 3379 times)

mtskysea

• Level 1 Member
Raid 1 drive capacity upgrade
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »

I've been running well with two 500GB Western Digital drives in RAID1 with one volume, firmware 1.06, and now up to capacity with only 763MB left.  I upgraded to two 1TB Seagate drives hoping the firmware is smart enough to use the extra capacity in RAID mode while syncing the replication but no luck.  Hope someone can give some advice or insight.

Here is what I did, and saw:

1. Admin shutdown then swapped one 500GB drive with one 1TB drive (NTFS formatted single partition). 
2. Powered up, admin login and proceeded with format.  Restarted when done and chose auto rebuild.
3. After a few hours, sync was done, status reported same ~500GB and 763MB left, but added volume 2 JBOD with another ~500GB. 
4. Went in to Advance->Network Access and deleted volume 2.  Status still shows volume 2 with ~500GB. 
5. Admin shutdown then swapped out the remaining 500GB drive with another 1TB drive (unformatted).
6. Powered up, admin login and proceeded with format.  Restarted when done and chose auto rebuild.
7. When done, status shows 1 volume in RAID1 with the same 500GB capacity and 763MB left. 
8. Rebooted but status still same.
9. Even after ~2 hrs, the drives are still moving (activity lights flashing, drive head sound ticking) even though no activity is supposed to occur on the NAS. 

Does anyone know if the firmware support drive capacity upgrade in RAID1?  Or do I need to start fresh with blank 1TB RAID1 in the NAS and manually copy the old content by mounting the 500GB ext2 onto a PC?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Raid 1 drive capacity upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »

You've already answered your own question - haven't you?

You just want to hear somebody else say it - ok - the DNS-323 does not support drive capacity upgrades, you need to recreate the RAID1 array with the new larger drives and then manually transfer the data across.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

mtskysea

• Level 1 Member
Re: Raid 1 drive capacity upgrade
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »

I happened to read fordem's reply (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8240.msg48924#msg48924) that JBOD Volume_2 will be gone under that scenario and I was hoping there's a trick or two to make this work. 

Thanks for the confirmation. I suppose this will be a very useful feature (think a lower end Drobo).