The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > D-Link Multimedia and USB

DSM-G600 and Windows 7 and Windows 10

<< < (2/2)

FurryNutz:
We are seeing issues with SMB protocols on Windows 10 and D-Links current DNS NAS products. This is a MS issue. There maybe some relation. However this unit is several years old and networking protocols have change some since then. I presume that you should maintain a XP compatible system to continue to use this DSM. Eventually I would recommend maybe getting into a newer NAS system thats more up to date and compatible with Windows 7 and 10.

adwsystems:
Maintaining the Win XP would kind of defeat the purpose. The purpose of this NAS is a centralized backup location. So they no longer have anywhere to back up to. As for protocols changing over time, that isn't exactly true. The ethernet protocol 802.3 hasn't changed in a long time. However, Microsoft may have (and likely did) change how their OS authenticates.

I'm thinking I need to try to get the Win XP box to communicate directly with the Win 7 and 10 boxes. This may provide some light on the issue. There aren't any shares setup between the computers. Any thoughts on what I would run in to if/when I try this?

FurryNutz:
Protocols in Windows have changed though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version