• March 28, 2024, 04:01:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HP SmartMedia Server - cannot access windows protected content  (Read 10128 times)

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
HP SmartMedia Server - cannot access windows protected content
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »

I have a desktop running XP and the Dlink media server.  I also have an HP MediaSmart server. I copied my Itunes music to the shared music folder on the SmartMedia server. There are also some Jpg files in the shared photo folder on the SmartMedia server. The DSM-520 will access and play any of the itunes music or photos from my desktop (dlink media server which actually points to the MediaSmart server) but when I try to access music or photos from the HP MediaSmart server I get a message "registration failed" "unable to access windows protected content" "no content".

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: HP SmartMedia Server - cannot access windows protected content
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »

Are the files on you HP SmartMedia .wma or .wmv files only?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:33:47 AM »

The files were my copied Itunes folder from my desktop PC.  Yesterday I tried something different.  I opened Media Player 11 and ripped a CD directly to the smartmedia server in WMP format.  Then I went to the DSM and selected the SmartMedia server.  I still get the "registration failed" "cannot access windows protected content" however, if I press the right arrow key on the remote it displays the ripped CD and I can play music.  I don't see the album art.  I'm still trying to figure that out.  I guess I'll have to re-rip all my CDs to the smartmedia server?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »

Do you have content that is not Windows file format like .wma or .wmv format. These formats require WMP11 to be used as your media server to support the DRM (Digital Rights Management) this format is not supported by the Built in UPnP AV media server on the SmartMedia server. Make sure you have other content formats like mp3 or mpeg.

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

I'm a bit new to this stuff so I want to be sure about what I'm doing.  So are you saying that I should store all my music as mp3 files and put those on the smartmedia server instead of ripping them as WMA or using itunes? What format does Itunes use?

This morning I noticed that my desktop had been rebooted due to a windows update and there was an error message:

MEDIAGUI.exe
Application initialization error (x8000003). Application closed.

I noticed that the dlink media server was not running on my desktop.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »

If you are using the HP Smartmedia Server for you media streaming server you will want to rip you DVD as mp3. iTunes can also use mp3 but they also have a propitiatory format.

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »

When I first select the HP SmartMedia server from Dlink and select music. I get the registration failure message and the message saying that I can't access windows protected content.  I don't have any windows protected content on the server.  My files were ripped from CD using Media Player 11. 
I understand the issues with SmartMedia and protected WMDR format but I don't think I should get the message unless I have such data.   My DSM-520 plays the WMA files from the smartmedia just fine.  My only problem is the registration failure message.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »

I am not quite sure what you are seeing or what could be happening in this event maybe somebody using the HP MediaSmart as well will shed some light. I am very sorry but this is not a device that we could offer support on. You may want to contact HP and see if they have any information that will help and revert back to D-Link.

tingram

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »

I'm getting this too just trying to access Active TV. I am only using the DLink software and nothing else. Video and audio play fine but i get this error when trying to select the Dlink media server. No protected files in my library I just think that registration failed and needs to be retried but I have no clue how to do it...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

I'm getting this too just trying to access Active TV. I am only using the DLink software and nothing else. Video and audio play fine but i get this error when trying to select the Dlink media server. No protected files in my library I just think that registration failed and needs to be retried but I have no clue how to do it...

That is odd it sounds like you were connecting to Windows media player 11 and did not know it to goto the PC to authorize it so you received this message. The D-link Media Server should not have a message like this.

mikehd

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »

I get the same message with my HP MediaSmart Server. I don't use any WMA/WMV protected media, so I connect via the PVconnect media connector on the HP MSS. I do not have WMP11 running or sharing on this box.

With my WinXP Pro SP2 machine, I can connect and register successfully with WMP11 sharing folders.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:41 AM »

You will need to contact HP on this one.