• April 23, 2024, 09:18:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Schedule backup 2 volumes  (Read 2586 times)

lawsu

Schedule backup 2 volumes
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »

I have 2 hardisks as "volume 1" and "volume 2".

I have created schedule backup from "volume 1" to "volume 2" every weekly.

This backup task only download new/updated files without removing data that has been deleted in "volume 1".  It result that volume 2 has a mix of new/updated and supposedly unwanted data.  Is there a way to do typical backup of volume 1 and compressed into a file or something?

Thank you.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Schedule backup 2 volumes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:49 AM »

From the description of your setup, you are using the incremental backup.  Unfortunately, the backup program internal to the DNS-343 only provides two options:

• Full backup, which will keep your Volume_1 and Volume_2 data in sync, but requires copying the entire contents of Volume_1 to Volume_2 (which could take several days for large volumes and will kill your HDDs early from the heavy read/writes)
  • Incremental backup, which only copies new data added to Volume_1 to Volume_2, but does not remove deleted data

Personally, I use the incremental backup and run an external backup application (on a PC) once a month to sync both volumes (i.e. delete files that were removed from DNS-343 source volumes.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC