• March 28, 2024, 03:51:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Connection drops regularly during VPN  (Read 3967 times)

CrochetOwl

• Level 1 Member
Connection drops regularly during VPN
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

Hi, I have a DIR-615 E1 router with current firmware (just upgraded end of October from the WBR-1310 A1 which was used for several years).  There are no issues with it when connecting my devices (e.g., business laptop, smartphone, etc).  Since mid-Oct, whenever I use my business laptop to connect to work (e.g., VPN) with juniper software, every ten minutes it disconnects / reconnects and I can barely get any work done.  I remain connected if the ethernet is plugged directly into the cable modem though.  I have tried hardcoding the IP to remain static as well as setting up virtual server for port 1723.  It still continues to bump me off.  Both IT and even my manager are stumped as to why this problem is occurring all of the sudden with the router after several years.  McAfee is the antivirus software that is used in Windows XP environment on the laptop.  Any ideas?  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:46:57 PM by CrochetOwl »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: Connection drops regularly during VPN
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »

Does the connection also drops when you're using the router normally to connect to the Internet over wireless (not via VPN)?

Try to also forward port 1792 in addition to 1723.

CrochetOwl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »

Hi, the drops only occur when using the vpn (e.g. jupiter) software with both ethernet and wireless.  I'll try out port 1792 tonight.

CrochetOwl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »

No dice (for now will plug in directly into the cable modem for VPN).  After three months of this problem, gonna drop D-link after all these years in favor of NetGear or LinkSys.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

Before you do that, give this a try: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13599.0

buckm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »

Its worth trying the DD-WRT alternative ROM, my 615 was rubbish with the firmware it came with, couldn't keep VPN connections up at all, needed to restart it every couple of days becasue it wouldn't accept connections, but since the the DD-WRT firmware on its not missed a beat, its been brilliant, so the hardware is decent just rubbish firmware.  its worth trying, it won't cost you anything, and if it doesn't work, well then go buy a Netgear or whatever, put the stock firmware back on and sell it on ebay!

Mike