• April 26, 2024, 02:28:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adding a Drive - Move to Raid 1 - Scared!  (Read 2105 times)

burlingtovenste

• Level 1 Member
Adding a Drive - Move to Raid 1 - Scared!
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm running firmware 1.09... and I have drive that has about 400 Gigs being used in the left bay.

I've purchased a new drive (Exact same model and size)... and I've put it in, and the rebooted the device.

It's prompting me reconfigure to Raid 1... and it SAYS I won't lose any data.

I say yes to that screen, then I get a screen asking about Rebuild (Auto vs. Manual)...  That screen has the following warning.

This section allows you to setup a RAID configuration on the selected hard drives. Please note that the data stored on the drives will be erased during the formatting process.

I'm terrified that I'll lose all my data on the first drive.

Can anyone help me out?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Adding a Drive - Move to Raid 1 - Scared!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:30 AM »

First - BACK UP YOUR DATA - if you had a backup, you wouldn't be terrified.  RAID1, as my signature says, is NOT a form of back up, and you will still need to back up the data when running a RAID1 array.

Next - I have added a second drive, just as you are doing, and built a RAID1 array, without losing the data on the original drive - I did it as a test, because other people were complaining that they lost data when they tried to do it, I don't know what they did differently or wrong (or even if they did anything wrong), but it worked for me.

In other words - I see no reason why it should not work for you, but if you don't have a backup, and you lose your data, you have yourself to blame, for not making a backup of your data.

By the way - when you add a new drive,  the DNS-323 doesn't prompt you to reconfigure RAID1, it prompts you to format the new drive - you have to select RAID1, if you want it, it's a choice that you have to make.  Are you sure you're reading the screens correctly?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.