• April 27, 2024, 11:34:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help Syncing between 2 NAS  (Read 2425 times)

chris24747

• Level 1 Member
Help Syncing between 2 NAS
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:41 AM »

hi all.
I currently have a DNS-345 and a DNS-320 (not the L one :-[).

I want to be able to sync various folders between the two, ideally both ways but 345 -> 320 would be ok.  This needs to happen over the internet via ddns as both ends will be on DHCP internet addresses.
The inbuilt 'remote backups' function (rsync) does not allow me to specify a DNS name in the destination field, it only accepts IPs - so that's out (firmware feature request?).  I've checked out apps like Syncthing which appear to need the app on both ends, again, I can't do that as the 320 wont take apps.

I bought the 320 on offer as assumed I could use the inbuilt function to rsync the two. It was until I tried it that I realised I coudn't enter a DNS name.

Is there any way I can do what I want to do with the hardware I have? I'd prefer not to mess around with the firmware (certainly not on my 345 as its got a lot of data on, the 320 is just an offsite backup so I'm more open to the likes of ALT-F on that, assuming I'd be any better off?). Would i be able to do any more if i replaced the 320 with a 320L?

Thanks all..

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Help Syncing between 2 NAS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »

Have you looked at using FTP to do the transfers?  We use that run by a CRON instance for nightly backups of one small client we have that does not have a fixed IP address.

Other than that does your ISP allow you to have fixed IP addresses?  If they do then get one for both sites and your problem should be solved - just make sure you have adequate firewalls at both ends.

chris24747

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »

Thanks. Ill give it a go. What are you using to set up the cron?  I found an addon called vtcron. Is it that one? My ISP doesnt allow fixed IPs unfortunately. Itd be no problem if they did.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »

It can be very annoying when you can't get a fixed IP because it requires too much messing about to get things done - we, being a business insisted on having several fixed IPs and changed ISP to one that gives us what we need at no extra cost.  We even changed most of our local clients to that ISP as well.

Our CRON is a port produced by my programmer.  It runs on our FTP server and starts an FTP client that has only one function of calling the FTP server of our clients DNS-320 and downloading everything that has been added during the day.  Once a week another script is run that downloads everything on the DNS-320 to our storage array - not necessarily the sort of thing you are trying to do but we get paid to keeps clients up and running.

May I suggest that you first try by using an FTP client on your computer to connect to one of your NAS boxes to see just how it works and how you can select what to download (it may be by date or archive bit and if you use the archive bit make sure that it is changed when the transfer id completed so that you don't download it again).