• March 28, 2024, 06:36:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Usb printer stop working after restarting the NAS  (Read 5098 times)

crestey

• Level 1 Member
[Resolved] Usb printer stop working after restarting the NAS
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

Hello,
I use ubuntu in dual boot with xp. I use also a NAS DNS323, and a printer HP-Deskjet-845C connected to the usb of the NAS. Everything works fine. Except, ... , when I hard or soft reset the NAS.
In that case, it is then imposible to print anything. The printer spooler becomes then bigger and bigger.
Even if I re-install the printer, it still does not work.
The only way I found to get the printer working again is to click on the "save settings" button here !:
Very strange, isn't it ?
So my question is : Is there a solution to implement something in the init procedure of the NAS (via fun_plug) to have the printer working when I switch off/on the NAS. Which command could I run from telnet to be equivalent to this "save settings" button ?
If I could implement what is "behind" this "save setting" button, it should work.
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:09:07 AM by crestey »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Usb printer stop working after restarting the NAS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:42:05 AM »

Are you using CUPS or SMB for printing and does the DNS-323 have a fixed IP address?  Also which operating system is giving the problem?

From your description it sounds as if your computer looses track of where the printer is when you reset the NAS therefore you should try looking at the printer settings on the computer.  This can be caused by the NAS getting a different IP address on restart anf computer trying to print to the old address.

The other thing, why switch the NAS on and off?  Ours here are on 24/7/365.

crestey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:23:24 AM »

Thank you for your reply,
I am using fixed IP address.
Usually, I run ubuntu. But I tried XP (on same pc), and it gives exactly the same problem.
The problem occurs by 3 different restart ways:
1) Soft restart through web interface
2) Hard restart with front panel button
3) "very" Hard restart by power outage
I have 3 PC connected on the network.
Before a restart, any of them can print.
After a restart, any of them can read or write any NAS files but none of them can print.
So the problem in inside the NAS. And it is not a IP problem.
It sounds like after a restart, something needs to be re-initialized around the nas usb printer capability.

Hopefully, I discovered that the "save setings" button could re-initialize what needed to be re-initialized.
But some weeks ago, before knowing that, I loosed the printer capabilities on the NAS, and I had to connect the printer directly on my computer if I needed to print something.

On this snapshot, I use telnet to look inside the NAS (IP 192.168.0.20):

You can see the printer spooler, and a terminal where I can display the "/" and the "/etc" directories of the NAS.
Of course, it should exist a command that I could run from the terminal, that would unlock the printer. That is what I am looking for. If I find this command, I can add it in the rc.local file or some thing like that.
But I don't know where to look for. The only thing relative to the usb I could see is the file /dev/usblp0. But what to do ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:28:30 AM by crestey »

crestey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »

I am so happy ! I found the solution ! Here is the solution:

Going back from here (firmware 1.10):

to here (firmware 1.09):

Every works now, even after a power outage reset.
So this is a bug introduced when they upgraded the firmware from 1.09 to 1.10
I don't know how to inform the development team.
If some one can tell me.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: [Resolved] Usb printer stop working after restarting the NAS
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »

Thank you for letting us know the answer to your problem.

I very much doubt that anything will be done to fix the problem in the firmware because the NAS is at the 'end of life' situation.

crestey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:17:31 AM »

Sorry for not being clear enough.

The problem is due to a bug in the NAS firmware version 1.10
So, the solution is the following :
1) download the firmware 1.09 from here ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Firmware/
2) load it into the NAS
3) reboot the NAS

Doing this, after a NAS restart or a power outage, the printer connected to the NAS is still working.

Please tell me if it is clear now. (Sorry for my bad english)
Dominique (from France)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:28:42 AM by crestey »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »

Your first description was clear enough for me and, I hope, others but thank you for expanding on it.

The problem we all have is that the DNS-323 is now unsupported by D-Link because it is old and I very much doubt the bug you have found will be fixed.