• April 23, 2024, 02:36:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A way to set DNS server to be spread by dhcp  (Read 6406 times)

TheMadBoy

• Level 1 Member
A way to set DNS server to be spread by dhcp
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »

Is there a way in DIR 855 to change DNS server that is assigned to clients when they get IP from DHCP? The one i get from my INET provider seems to be slow so i would prefer to either a) change DNS server that is used by device so when i query 192.168.1.1 for dns it checks with DNS i provided in setup and not the one given by ISP. Or so i can provide via dhcp diffrent DNS directly (without need to use DNS relay.

With regards,

MadBoy

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
Re: A way to set DNS server to be spread by dhcp
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:09:17 AM »

Yes, you can!  On your DIR-855 router go to Setup> Internet> Manual Internet Connection Setup and manually enter your desired IP addresses in the Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server fields. These manual entries will overwrite the entries from your ISP and leave everything else untouched. You might want to try using the OpenDNS servers at IP 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 which have worked well with my DIR-655 and DIR-855 routers. Hope this helps.    ::)

Regards,
Magnetron1

TheMadBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

So i switched to diffrent dns (proposed by namebench) and after change other one is faster. Basicallly everything that i set on router as DNS to use is 500% slower then when it tries to use it without router:

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Check yourself out if it's a problem of router or something is wrong ;)

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »

After running the NameBench Utility, I took it's advice and replaced my Primary DNS Server with one of the Google Public DNS Servers and kept one of my ISP's Servers for the Secondary DNS Server. Then I reran NameBench many times with the router's "Enable DNS Relay" both enabled and disabled using an HP Notebook with a 2GHz Pentium Core 2 Duo Processor with 4GB's of Ram and running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit w/SP2. I compared the results and didn't find much difference.

What level firmware is your router using? Mine is using the Beta release 121b07na dated 11-11-2009 which can be obtained from the D-Link FTP website at the following address:
ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir855/Beta/Firmware/

Please note that after installing this firmware that the router's Status page reports this firmware as 1.21NA 2009/11/05.

Regards,
Magnetron1
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:37:41 AM by Magnetron1 »

TheMadBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

I have the same version as you with DNS relay enabled. Not matter what i set in router as dns always some other dns'es are winning over 192.168.0.1 (couple hundred percent). I do connect thru Wifi N thou but i am like 0.5m to router.

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »

Have you tried doing the following procedure ? :

1.) Perform a hard reset on the router to bring it back to factory defaults.(See bottom of P.82 in the User  Manual for procedure.)

2.) Manually enter all the configuration data and save to the non-volatile memory in the router. Please DON'T upload the configuration file on your PC's hard drive to the router.

3.) Re-run the NameBench utility and check the results.

4.) If the results are the same as before, I would then re-flash the firmware and manually reenter the configuration data and save. (DON'T upload that old configuration file !)

5.) Perform step 3 above.

6.) If the results are the same as before, I would try another DNS benchmarking utility such as Steve Gibson's DNSBench which is free and can be downloaded from the following link:
www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I have used this utility and got a different set of results than when using NameBench.
 Good Luck! ::)

Regards,
Magnetron1
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:13:06 AM by Magnetron1 »