• April 18, 2024, 03:40:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Streaming movies overs the internet.  (Read 2274 times)

Altec220

• Level 1 Member
Streaming movies overs the internet.
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »

I'm interested in picking one of these up but am wondering one thing first. If I have this hooked up at home with all my movies stored on it, can I go to my buddy's house in town and be able to stream movies from it from his internet. I would be doing this through XBMC adding it as a ftp server.

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: Streaming movies overs the internet.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

Hi,
I have a fairly decent cable internet and folks downloading from my 320's ftp server only get about 200kb to 250kb downloading.  I am not sure if this is going to be similar to your setup but I think it will be.  These kinds of speeds are not going to be useful for streaming.  A little trial and error will tell you for sure pretty quick though.  You might also try using the web file server feature to see if that is any better but I don't use it and have no way to test.  My users just download via ftp and then play with whatever. 
If you do get this to work, please post your methods.  Good luck

shabuboy

• Level 2 Member
Re: Streaming movies overs the internet.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

Is it possible? Yes it is. But just like Cable2 said, it will depend on your AND his internet connection. Specially your upload speed.

My suggestion: download file then watch.