• April 19, 2024, 06:07:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Connecting two wireless networks together? Bridging? How?  (Read 27425 times)

pender

• Level 2 Member
Re: Connecting two wireless networks together? Bridging? How?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »

The DWA160 has nowhere need the sensitivity of my laptop intel wireless -n (signal stregnth 12% on dwa and 55% on the intel at one location I use the computer).

If you can return the Dlink adapter and get an Engenius 62mw 802.11n USB adapter from here for either $30 for single band or $40 for dual band, you will get the best sensitivity and the throughput you want.

I have the 200mw 802.11g adapter and it is without a doubt the most outstanding adapter I have ever used.  Mind you the 62mw 11n adapter has an internal antenna as well, but should perform 2-3x better at extreme ranges than even your Intel.

You can always go for the 11n Engenius with two removable RP-SMA antennas but it is bulkier and only 2.4Ghz band but so is the 655.
http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=217

tomb18

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:33 AM »

Hi Pender,

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Linksys 310N V2 router and installed dd-wrt last night.  Everything has so far gone well but I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure out why my Sony with Intel 5100 was not connecting while my HP Netbook was.  Turns out that the Intel adapter could only connect with wireless-g.  A bit of research and I changed the wpa2 encryption to a different mode and then it could connect no problem.  Seems that I have higher data rates for a given signal than I ever did with the dlink 825 and 655.

Tonight it's on to the wireless bridge repeater!

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »

:)

I was thinking perhaps you were looking for something with 400mw. That's a lot of juice. But $$$.

But remember, in repeater mode, expect HALF the bandwidth for wireless clients.

tomb18

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »

Well, the wireless repeater is so far a mixed bag.
It is working. Both routers are reachable from either wireless access point, and I can access the internet just fine fromn the repeater.

The problem now is that my wireless clients drop their connection to the repeater after a couple of minutes even if they are right next to the router.  The signal strength is good around 80% but as you move away, it falls rapidly.  One client doesn't even show the ssid.
Now, since this happens on 2 laptops with different adapters (intel and broadcomm) it's unlikely the clients.

I don't know where to go from this point.  Any ideas?

Thanks

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »

1st router  ssid=abcde  ch=1 wpa2+aes
2nd router ssid=abcde  ch=6 wpa2+aes

You can choose channels but keep the space betwen them.

Then your laptop gone change channels automaticly, roaming.

kthaddock
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

tomb18

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 07:25:21 AM »

SSID's are the same, but channel selection is automatic.

How do I pick fixed channels that are different?  There is a wireless link between the 2 routers (bridging) so if I set one channel on one and a different one on the other, how will they communicate?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]