• March 28, 2024, 06:54:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-920 Zoom  (Read 3653 times)

disaster

• Level 1 Member
DCS-920 Zoom
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:17:30 AM »

Hi,

I have a new 920 camera up & running.  On the "features" panel on the box it mentions 1x - 4x zoom capability.  I find no mention of this in the literature for the camera or the D-ViewCam software.

Under Version 2.0.3 of ViewCam it did allow a "zoom" operation on the viewer screen.  I'm not sure if this was in the camera or in the V-Cam software.  I think it was done in the software.

Under Verision 3.0.1 of ViewCam there is no option for zoom for 920.  There isn't any zoom mentioned in the 920 D-Link config software either.

Does anyone know if this camera REALLY has zoom?

Thanx.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
Re: DCS-920 Zoom
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »

If you access the camera via the webpage, you will see a button-bar at the bottom, allowing you to zoom 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x. But this is digital zoom, so no gain on the whole picture.

If you use the Playback feature of D-ViewCam (it is now 3.11, with lots more stability) you can zoom in much further, but again just digital, so no real gain, but in combination with the image-enhancement it still is something useful.

So, no native zoom in the 920, but digital zoom on either native webpage, or DViewCam Playback.

disaster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »

So if I understand this correctly the zoom is on the DCS-920 setup wizard webpage?  I didn't see it there, but I'll look again.

This isn't a parameter that can be programmed into the camera then?  but just a magnification peformed by the software?

I think I did find the zoom in the playback under Ver3 of D-Viewcam (think I have 3.11 - not sure at the moment).  I suspect that it is also just a magnification performed by the software.

Based on the "feature" on the box top I was hoping the zoom was a parameter in the camera itself.  Sounds like it's just a software function.

Thanks for the help.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

I am not able to paste an image here, but at the main page with "LIVE VIDEO" at the top, just inside the "LIVE VIDEO" cadre at the bottom left of the image you should see: "Zoom :" followed by 4 buttons. I am using Java, but that should not make any difference...

disaster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:00:24 AM »

Looked for the zoom buttons last night.

For my version of camera firmware & setup wizard the zoom buttons do NOT show up under the "native" viewer.  They ONLY show up if I select Active-X or Java.  So they were there - just not consistently.

I have both Java & Active-X on my PC but only the Active-X was "installed" by the viewer when I hit the Active-X button.  When I hit the Java button I get the small 3-color icon in the upper left corner of the image box that shows it can't find or run Java.  No idea why.  Not critical, just an observation.

Thanks.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »

You might need to install Java on your PC (if that is what it is), the download site is: http://www.java.com/ and used to be Sun, now is Oracle. Only when Java is installed can you set default viewer as Java.
ActiveX is MS and IE-only... Java will run both on IE and Firefox, or any other flavour of browser.