• March 29, 2024, 08:01:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Power LED Constantly Blinking - No access to unit  (Read 21368 times)

Quadkar

• Level 1 Member
Power LED Constantly Blinking - No access to unit
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

Today I shut my DNS-323 & Windows based PC off as the power started to flicker on & off during heavy winds.

Hours later I turned my computer & DNS-323 back on. The computer is fine, but I can no longer access the DNS-323 thru windows explorer. Additionally, the power LED constantly blinks - like itd forver in startup.

Addition info:
-Hard drive & network LEDs are on and seem to be acting normally
-My router is blinking and seems to see the DNS-323
-Other then turning the unit on and off a few times, I have taken no further steps.

No being completely confortable in my knowledge of the DND-323 and to ensure I don't mess things up further, I have not tried to reset the unit, take out hard drives, etc.

Any advise on help I get this unit back online?

Thanks
Ryan

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
Re: Power LED Constantly Blinking - No access to unit
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »

I believe there is a sequence that units should be started:

1. Modem
2. Router
3. Network devices
4. Network computers

It is worth a try.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:15 AM »

Doesn't make the slightest difference how you start it - and you can use the DNS-323 in a network with no modem or router - as a matter of fact, if you set static ips on both devices you can connect a DNS-323 directly to a computer with a straight through ethernet cable and use it that way.

The constantly flashing power light is an indication that it has not completed the boot process - there are several possible causes, and the number increases if the unit has been "hacked" in any way - some folks have done little things like backup the configuration, edit the backup and restore it - others are running fun_plug.

Assuming you haven't hack it, it's possible that one of the drives has not reached a ready state (depends on the firmware version) or corruption of the flash memory.

I would remove both drives (mark them so you know which is which) and try powering the unit up without them, and then follow that with a reset using the pin switch.

If the drives were separate volumes they can be inserted on at a time with little risk of data loss, if it was a JBOD or RAID) I would not advise it, a RAID1 array would need rebuilding if started with a single drive.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Quadkar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply jhtopping & fordem.

fordem - The unit was not hacked in anyway and the setup was RAID1.

Without understanding the implication of your approach I'm hesitate; I do not want to lose my data. My understanding is that if the HDDs are removed then they cannot be put back into the DNS-323 without it re-formatting them (and lossing the data)

If I follow your arroach, would I be able to take the data off prior to putting the HDDs back in? I do not have a sense for how RAID1 impacts the ability of a HDD to be read when its stand alone. My computer has a caddy, so I can hotswap HDDs.

Thoughts?

Ryan

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »

Hi,
In the worst case, read this link, http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41395.0 , it's in the 323 fac.  The factory reset even without removing the disks might be an alternative and is supposed to have no effect on the data or the raid configuration, but you will have to redo your users and any other settings you made. Or you could go with fordem's recommendation and try removing the drives first.  In either case, you should be able to recover your data unless somehow both drives got toasted somehow, which I doubt.  It just seems to me you have to try the factory reset with or without the drives in place.  If you decide to try the reset, you insert a paperclip into the reset hole on the back and hold it in for 10-15 seconds with the unit power on.  Good luck

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »

Quadcar

First - with RAID1 you can gain access to the data by connecting either one of the disks to a computer  - if you're running Windows, you'll need an installable file system driver because the DNS-323 runs linux and uses either the ext2 or ext3 file system.  if you're running linux you'll need to know how to mount the disks.

Having said that - DLink designed the DNS-323 to allow disks from a failed unit to be transferred to a new unit without a reformat and the subsequent loss of data, you can also reset the unit with or without removing the disks and there should be no loss of data.

Personally - I have swapped disks in & out of the unit, in both standard volumes and RAID1 configurations - it does not reformat the disks.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »

I have had this happen to me.  The blinking power light occurred after the power went out during a storm.  Unfortunately for me, it was the end for my unit and I had to replace it. 
Hopefully this is not the case for you.

Try the suggestions presented by the other posters and best of luck to you.  At least your data should be fine on your disks - mine was.

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

Quadkar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »

Update & Thank you everyone

I took the following steps based on everyone’s input:

1) I reset the unit - no change, still not working
2) I removed the HDD - no change, still not working
3) I reset the now empty unit- no change, still not working

So being left with a now empty and continually blinking DND-323, I called DLink to activate my warrenty. And based on the conversation I just had with the rep, I’m going to be looked after with a replacement unit.

Thanks again
Ryan

juhealy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »

Mine just did the same thing this morning. I have pulled out the drives and ordered a Drobo.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the data off the disks.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

Now I just need to figure out how to get the data off the disks.
That will depend on how you had your drives set up, see fordem's reply #5, but you only need to get at the data you put on the drives after your last backup. 

You had better have a backup if you used RAID 0 or JBOD because there is no successful way of reading the data off without the NAS. 

crimsonsoo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 02:34:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lESIgCf915E

put it in the fridge for 15 mins. Apparently, it is the bad temp sensor.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »

Also try putting a fan under the DNS unit to help keep it cooler.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.