• March 28, 2024, 09:12:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Feature request: SVN -server  (Read 7995 times)

rroc

• Level 1 Member
Feature request: SVN -server
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »

I would like to request SVN-server as a feature for upcoming releases/add-ins.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Feature request: SVN -server
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »

I would think it's unlikely to make it in to what is esentially a consumer NAS box. Not many normal home users will be using a tool like that, most probably never heard of it. If you don't know about it already, google "fun_plug" where you can probably have your DNS run SVN.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »

Hard to believe many people that have this box need version control, that seems to be a request from left field.  I also suspect it would overload the meager resources that the DNS-323 has anyway.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »

I also suspect it would overload the meager resources that the DNS-323 has anyway.

Apparently it is possible if you hack the NAS with fun_plug, but to quote "Before you install (or buy this NAS), you must know SVN is not very fast on this NAS. Don't expect speeds above 400 kB/s."

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »

Like I said, overload the resources of the DNS-323. :)

I think this would require a bit more horsepower to use with any kind of performance.

m2k3423

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:25:33 AM »

The memory and CPU of DNS-323 cannot do a good job hosting SVN, just WebDAV access alone will kill the box. More importantly, not sure common folks even understand 'version control'.  

If what you want is for the DNS-323 keeping old versions of your files, something like your recycle bin, you can actually get that with the samba in the box.  What that does is that whenever you write over the existing file, the samba server will first rename the existing file (so, very little cpu resources consumed), then write the new content. This is the VFS  feature since samba 3. DNS-323 has 3.0.24 (as of 1.08 firmware). One of my DNS-323 has this turned on, and it has been happy.  However, the recycle bin is not accessible from your typical window via 'map drive', it will actually be a special folder that contain all old versions of your over-written files.  You will need to set-up access security properly too.

However, to configure it, you will need to get into the box via telnet / ssh (dropbear), which requires you to install fun_plug.  Once you are set-up for telnet/ssh, then getting something like recycle bin is adding a  few lines of configurations in smb.conf.  Try googling 'samba VFS recycle bin' to get some idea of what needs to be added.   This is not for people who do not know system administration. Be warned that changing internal configuration file may lead to a dead DNS-323 if not done properly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:29:10 AM by m2k3423 »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »

Good information, but since there is some danger to the box implied here, I'd think more specific instructions might be worthwhile, no? ;)

m2k3423

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »

Okay, specifics here thy come:

Add these lines to /etc/samba/smb.conf:

vfs object = recycle
recycle:repository = .recycle
recycle:directory_mode = 0777
recycle:subdir_mode = 0777
recycle:keeptree = Yes
recycle:versions = Yes
recycle:touch = No
recycle:touch_mtime = No
recycle:maxsize = 0
recycle:exclude = *.tmp,*.temp, ~$*, *.~??
recycle:exclude_dir = /.recycle
msdfs root = no

This 'recycle:keeptree = Yes' tells samba to maintain the same directory tree structure where the files were from. For example, if you deleted/overwrite a file /dir_a/subdir_b/file_overwritten, your .recycle directory will look like : /mnt/HD-a2/.recycle/dir_a/subdir_b/file_overwritten. If you change 'recycle:keeptree = No, every directory will have a .recycle, that will be ugly.  Depending on how secure you want the recycle files be, change directory mode as needed.

Again, fiddle at your own risk - the risks are yours and yours alone  ;D

xxbeanxx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:26:45 AM »

I use svn on my DNS-323 and am happy with it.  I only use it for small projects but I have over 30 versioned projects that I have had on there for almost two years.  The performance isn't stellar, as said, but it does what I want.

I installed it using the DNS-323 wiki instructions.  If you google it you will be able to find info.

dl08820

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »

I used it for SVN too.  I configure SVN server on a pc using flat files that mapped to DNS-323.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:41:39 AM »

I used it for SVN too.  I configure SVN server on a pc using flat files that mapped to DNS-323.

I think the OP was referring to running SVN server on the DNS-323, not on a PC.