• April 19, 2024, 12:57:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Access VPN problem  (Read 5981 times)

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
Access VPN problem
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »

This is going to be a long-shot, but I will try.

Once a twice a year, my sister-in-law comes out to our home and tries to login to her work VPN and she is unable to connect.

Her accessing her work VPN worked fine with my previous setup (Comcast/Netgear router), but when I switched over to Qwest DSL last fall, I also purchased a DLink router and after the Q.com/DLink upgrade, the next time she came out, she was no longer able to login.  She is getting ready to come out for Thanksgiving and I thought I would ask around to see if there is some setting I am not aware of.

She was able to access the Internet fine, but when she starts up her VPN connection, it doesn't work.

When she tries to access her VPN directly from the Qwest DSL modem it works fine, so there must be some setting in the Dlink router.

Here is my setup:  Actiontec M1000 modem with latest firmware (default settings), DLink DIR-655 with latest firmware (SPI enabled, DNS disabled due to the router reboot issue, the rest are pretty much default settings). 

Unfortunately, I don't know the steps on how she initiates the VPN login, so I am not sure anyone can help ... but I thought I would try.

Thanks.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: Access VPN problem
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »

I'm connecting with Cisco VPN client to my work. (DIR-655 Rev A2 latest 1.32 beta)

My firewall settings:

SPI: disable
NAT Endpoint filtering:
UDP = Endpoint independent
TCP = Address restricted

Anti Spoof checking = disabled

All ALGs enabled

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

Thanks, will try it ... appreciate the help.

Bett0

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

When she tries to access her VPN directly from the Qwest DSL modem it works fine,

It seems that your modem has router capabilities as well.
This mean that you are currently Double NATting. We cannot support you until you bridge your DSL modem.
That alone may solve your problem.

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »

Should I set the Qwest DSL modem in RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging mode (right now it is set for PPPoE), then have my DLink DIR-655 use PPPoE (vice Dynamic DHCP) with my Qwest DSL username/passwd?

Thanks, sorry for any elementary questions.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »

Should I set the Qwest DSL modem in RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging mode (right now it is set for PPPoE), then have my DLink DIR-655 use PPPoE (vice Dynamic DHCP) with my Qwest DSL username/passwd?

Thanks, sorry for any elementary questions.

Yes , this is correct way to have only one NAT.

Bett0

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »

Pardon me for not mentioning the next step.

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »

Up and running with DSL modem in bridge mode and the DIR-655 running things .... will know in a few days if it fixed the VPN issue ... thanks to all.

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »

Thanks everyone, she is able to access the VPN now ... appreciate the help.