• March 28, 2024, 03:13:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Discover NAS storage  (Read 4957 times)

andreasy

• Level 1 Member
Discover NAS storage
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

I am planning to install a NAS (network attached storage) in my network and I am currently planning for disk capacity. This will depend on weather the DSM-520 is able to play media directly from NAS or not. Is it possible to play my media that are stored there, directly without being first shared from the PC? (for the PC you need the software to allow the share, how can this be done on the NAS storage without the software?)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Discover NAS storage
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Yes if the NAS has a built in UPnP media server suck as our DNS-323, 321, or 343 it can share directly to the DSM-520 or any other media streaming device without a PC.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mediajunky500

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »

Don't do it!!!!  I have a DNS-343 with my DSM-520.  The MP3 ID3 tags are not being read by either the DSM-520 or the DNS-343.  The files are all screwed up when you go to sort them in any logical order.  In a nutshell, the UPnp AV server is not good on the D-Link NAS.  Go get a NAS that is DLNA compliant.  The D-Link might be compliant, but it is not good with the DSM-520.  As for the storage and the GUI, it is great.  But you are looking to eliminate having to have a computer running with a media server, well I hate to tell you this, but D-Link won't fix the ID3 tag issue on the UPnp AV server on the DNS-321(343).  So you have to still have media server software running in the background on your PC to stream the Mp3's from your NAS if you want any kind of sorting for your music.
D-Link is well aware of this issue, but they have chosen not to fix it.

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »

Yes if the NAS has a built in UPnP media server suck as our DNS-323, 321, or 343 it can share directly to the DSM-520 or any other media streaming device without a PC.

Can the DSM-520 read DivX files?  ???

I have a DNS-323 running in my network and it works very well. Instead of the embedded UPnP Server, I installed TwonkyMedia Server (http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:twonkyupnpserver) and I can play all my DivX Collection with PlayStation 3.

Currently I have a DNS-323 running in my network and it works VERY well. In my case I don't use the embedded UPnP Server.  I installed TwonkyMedia Server v4.4.1 from DNS-323's Wiki    [/size]