• April 19, 2024, 02:47:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Reset to factory w/o Admin password?  (Read 74375 times)

dmking79

• Level 1 Member
Reset to factory w/o Admin password?
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »

So, I've run into an interesting set of problems with my -321

- some applications do not have r/w permissions to certain folders and when I connect to some folders, I'm not able to copy data into them, even though I've mapped to the drive with an admin account that I set up

- For some reason, the username password I set up as an admin can no longer access the configuration page.  The default password doesn't work either.   I've tried every permutation of my password I can think of and every one-off where I may have fat-fingered it. 

I pretty much just need to nuke it and start over again.  Not a huge deal, I won't lose a lot of non-replaceable data.  Problem is, I can't access the configuration page to reset it the factory defaults.  Is there a way to do this without accessing the configuration page?

Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Reset to factory w/o Admin password?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

There is a reset button in the back of the device (well a pin hole). Hold a paperclip in the reset pinhole till the Power LED begins to flash (about 10 seconds). Once it has reset, use the search utility to find the device and the default username and password are "admin", leave the password field blank.

dmking79

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »

Thank you!  I'm reset and back in business

however, the original problem remains:  The file/folder permissions aren't allowing me r/w access even though I have my account setup for r/w access to the root.

My username is in the Admin group and I use those credentials to map the drive in Windows (currently Windows 7, but also have this problem in OS X)

example: Bit torrent can download and seed files from the BT folder all day long with no special permissions set up.  Files can be moved in and out of the folder as well

Yet, iTunes cannot write files to the Tunes folder even if it's run as an administrator.  Files saved to the root of the NAS volume cannot be moved into the Tunes folder from within Windows Explorer.  This happens in both Windows and OS X

any thoughts?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:13:16 AM »

Have you tried closing iTunes completely before moving files into this folder?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dmking79

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »

Yes, iTunes is totally closed on both machines before attempting to copy

before I reset the NAS, iTunes server was enabled.  I don't have the Itunes server enabled currently and I still can't copy/move files into the Tunes folder

pjsokal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »

There is a reset button in the back of the device (well a pin hole). Hold a paperclip in the reset pinhole till the Power LED begins to flash (about 10 seconds). Once it has reset, use the search utility to find the device and the default username and password are "admin", leave the password field blank.

I'm having a similar problem and reset per your instructions and keep getting this: Only the administrator can access the Configuration page.  Thus I can't format the second drive I just added.  Any thought?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »

Note that passworded shares and anonymous shares don't mix on this box, so if you're trying to do both, you will have access issues.  There are several threads on this here and in the DNS-323 forums.

I'm hoping they'll see the light and fix this. :(
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.