• March 28, 2024, 02:18:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't reset password on DCS-950G  (Read 19740 times)

linkup

• Level 1 Member
Can't reset password on DCS-950G
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:09 AM »

I bought the DCS-950G for a project two years ago.  Was never able to get it to work with the application so I put the camera away until now.  I was unable to find the install CD but I was able to "see" the camera and get to the signon screen, but the passwords don't work.  I saw somewhere that the camera could be reset through the hole in the back.  Have done that twice, but it still doesn't accept the default "admin" password.

Basically I am left with an expensive paperweight unless I can get past the password problem.  Any more solutions when resetting doesn't work?

Were the downloads available through the web site equivalent to the missing CD?  I don't know if there is some util or something on the CD that can override the password problem or give me a different way to set up the camera?

Thanks,

Lew

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Can't reset password on DCS-950G
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »

The only way you can reset the camera as this point is from the reset button. Please try pressing it and holding the button in until you see the camera reboot. The LEDs should go off and then come back on as it reboots.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »

I have tried a RESET multiple times.    When I push in the reset button the link light goes out and stays out until awhile after I have let go of the RESET button.  The instructions said to push it in for 10 seconds.  I have pushed it in for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, and multiple minutes...in either case, when I am done, I go back to the device web page where I see the two signin boxes where I enter admin/admin and nothing happens.

Would really like to get this camera working.

Thanks..

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »

Yeah it looks like the camera is failing to reset. All I can recommend is keep trying it and see if it finally will reset otherwise contact support via phone for a warranty replacement.

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

Is there another way I should be trying to access the device?

I go into Explorer/Network where the camera shows up as a media device.  The properties properly detect manufacturer, model, model number, and "device webpage" 

I click on the web page which takes me to the signon page where I try to type in admin/admin and Admin/Admin (as I saw in one example.

I get no response, as if I typed nothing...no error, no reply, nada, zilch, nothing.

Thanks...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »

Do you know what firmware is on the camera? If it is very old firmware you may need to be using IE6. Using IE7 or 8 may create an error on page and not allow you to access the camera. You may see this message at the bottom of the browser in IE7 or 8. If you can access it in IE6 I would recommend updating the camera to firmware 1.08.

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »

BINGO..have an old W2K machine here that saw it and ran the program right away.  Downloaded the firmware but don't know how to get it on the camera?  I didn't see an option for that?

thx

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »

found something in the camera's help which says to Browse/Apply the firmware update file to install it...huh?  Browse it with what?  Windoze doesn't know what to do with the file, so I think they assume you know what program to be running that understands the firmware file format?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »

Oh yeah older camera so you need the Installation Wizard application to install firmware its not done in the browser as the current cameras, here's the link.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dcs950/Apps/InstallationWizard/dcs950_installationwizard_301.exe

And heres a link to the support website.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DCS-950&tab=3

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »

Thanks, will give it a shot.

Will upgrading from 7 to 8 make the camera Vista and 7 compatible?

As an aside, is there a way to tell the camera what to do, like shoot when motion, or ever X minutes, and where to send the pix, without connection to a PC?  Is the program, schedule, and storage information saved in the camera allowing independent operation?

I have a NAS where I would like it to put the pix.

Thanks!

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »

ok...  I ran the install program but still didn't see any option to change firmware...what screen is an option which says "update firmware" or something I would recognize as a way to do it?

Confused as usual...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

Ok..I have not used this camera in a long time, my bad. The firmware upgrade option is in the camera. Log into the camera then click Setup. Next click on the Tools tab and Firmware on the left side. Then just click browse and locate the firmware .bin (I thing you may need to unzip the file downloaded from our support site .zip) file wherever you saved it to then click OK and Apply.

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »

OK...was able to upgrade the firmware..   1.08, but I still can't log on with the Vista 32 PC??

It sees it, it brings up the logon page, but thats it?  That is using Firefox, my preferred browser.

I found that I could access the camera with IE, but I would prefer FireFox.  Any add-on available for FireFox so it can work with Vista and the camera?

thx

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »

The camera requires ActiveX so you must use IE.

linkup

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »

The other problem I am having is connectivity.  AFter I got it working, I moved it to an upstairs window.  I checked and could still access the camera.  Checked the next morning and wasn't able to see it on the network.  I power cycled it and still couldn't see it.  I then moved it back next to the wireless route and it was "found" again, then I moved it one room over, about 20 feet from the router and it is vanished?   I can use my notebook computer without an external antennae 200' away but can't access the camera 20' away? 

Do I need to wrap the antenna with tin foil :)

Lew