• March 28, 2024, 01:43:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Netflix ready device  (Read 15604 times)

morte

Netflix ready device
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »

Would it be possible to add the necessary components to the firmware to make the DSM-520 a Netflix ready device so you could use the Netflix "Watch Instantly" feature on the DSM-520??  That would be a GREAT selling point...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:41:15 PM by morte »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Netflix ready device
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »

The feature has been requested product management so its in there hands I don't have any details.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

chenrikson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »

Media Mall is working on this.  Their latest program - PlayOn - sometimes does Netflix, and sometimes doesn't.  It does well with HULU.  Keep on top of what they are up to as I think they are going to be supporting PlayOn for the DSM-520 in the relatively near future.  Currently, PlayOn is only officially supported on the PS3, XBox 360 and HP Touchscreen.  Popcorn Hour also works well.  MM hopes to get NetFlix working with Active-TV, but that is still a ways off.

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

The latest information from the AVS forum is that Media Mall will not support Active TV.  However the latest PlayOn beta as of 11/5/08 when I downloaded it does seem to support Netflix.  It supports Hulu also but the two movies I tried gave an end of file error about 5-10 minutes into the movie.  If you have a Netflix account, I recommend it.  I expect later versions to get better.  I haven't tried CBS yet.

Alan

chenrikson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »

The latest information from the AVS forum is that Media Mall will not support Active TV.  However the latest PlayOn beta as of 11/5/08 when I downloaded it does seem to support Netflix.  It supports Hulu also but the two movies I tried gave an end of file error about 5-10 minutes into the movie.  If you have a Netflix account, I recommend it.  I expect later versions to get better.  I haven't tried CBS yet.

Alan

Alan is correct.  It appears that future support for ActiveTV is in doubt.  Netflix is working pretty well for me, as is Hulu.  Be sure to shut off the screen saver on the 520.

Craig

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

I downloaded and installed the latest version of PlayOn and it can connect to my netflix account. I see PlayOn as a server on my DSM 520 but when I select it the DSM520 says "The device can now play protected media files".  When I close this dialog box the DSM520 returns to the main menu screen. How do you find the netflix connection on the DSM 520?

hmaurer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »

For all intents and purposes, it's here! I had a bit of trouble streaming Netflix about a week ago, but they are quietly working out the bugs. I have now watched four complete movies without interruption. One of the keys to using PlayOn is to set the quality to medium rather than automatic. Although a little grainy, the quality is certainly better than Tversity streaming AVI's or other web-based applications. I can only imagine it getting better, not worse. In the week since I have begun working with PlayOn, they have upgraded the Beta software at least eight times--each is an improvement.

They will have my $30!

BTW, in the DSM-520, just click OK to the "Protected Media Files" and the PlayOn Menu should show up.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:19 PM »

I figured out my problem with the DSM520 using PlayOn to watch Netflix movies. I had to update the DSM 520 to firmware 1.06. Works great now. I watch Netlix movies for hours with out any problems. I have the video set to auto and the quality is very good. My connection speed is between 5mbs and 7mbs when I test it.

olivert2

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »

The DSM-520 finally has a real use other than ActiveTV and streaming PC media.  Thank you MediaMall for PlayOn!  I was shocked how easy and fast I got PlayOn up and running.  For those that have been successful as setting up their players before; just downloading the Beta from www.themediamall.com and when you are at FINISH turn on your Media Player and select 'My Media' the service PlayOn.  My DSM is at v1.06 D-Link N-router w/ D-Link Cable Modem.  I have owned my 520 for well over a year possibly two and until today all it was good for learning about early development issues and hoping it would not be another hardware empty promise. Today it has been given a new life NetFlix HULU CBS ESPN Utube.  Hats off to MediaMall, a tip of the hat to D-Link and a nod to AMD for quality products.    

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

Yeah I use PlayOn Everyday its pretty awesome.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

HawaiiTom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »

PlayOn has now fixed the Netflix problem as well as the You Tube problem. I tested the Beta, then spent the $30. They have a new every every few days, and it seems to keep getting better.

mike2715

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »

It would be nice to revisit netflix add-on.n This subject.. It has been a year....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would really like to see the Netflix add-on.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:24:54 PM by mike2715 »