• April 16, 2024, 02:46:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP 1360 Works like a charm!  (Read 17774 times)

Makaveli83

• Level 1 Member
DAP 1360 Works like a charm!
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »

I like most have had some serious issues with getting my DAP 1360 set up with my current network. I have been using a DIR-655 to handle all my network needs but needed to fill a dead spot where I couldn't get wifi. So I thought I'd try the DAP 1360.

After reading many forums of somewhat successful attempts and pretty much everyone bashing it it bits, I figured out finally how to get this thing going. Having a slight IT background did have an advantage.

I'm am using the DAP 1360 as a repeater.

As stated I'm using a DIR-655 as my main source. I manually connected all my devices using the wizard. (httpp://192.168.0.1). Once that was complete I then added all my wireless devices and then reserved their IP to my desired setup. After setup, reboot using the boot in the wizard.

After I had my gadgets setup I then proceeded to set up the DAP 1360. Again, using its wizard setup (http://192.168.0.50).
In there I added all my wireless devices manually using the MAC address provided from the DIR-655 wizard. (You can just write these down on paper and manually type them in)
After I had both Wireless networks setup on my DIR 655 and DAP 1360 I reboot the DAP to match the DIR 655 and it was go time.

It was a little lengthy process but pretty easy long as you take the time to do it properly I promise you there are no problems.

So I let the network warm up and there were some slight hangs until it finally connect.

It's been about 3-4 months now since I have done this and honestly, NO PROBLEMS! I did not want to post it day of and be like HA! and then re-post with a :( . But I have successfully setup my network and the DAP is working wonders extending my network with no hangs.

My network:

DIR-655:
Wired: Custom Built Desktop
          PS3
          Dell Laptop
Wireless: (using DIR 655 & DAP 1360)
          Dell Laptop
          Lenovo Laptop
          Asus Laptop
          Multi Media Desktop
          Nintendo Wii
          Xbox 360
          Samsung Google Cell phone
          2 x Blackberries ( Torch and Bold)
          Wifi Television Samsung
          External HD Western Digital
          Wifi HP Printer

After having all that setup on my network, Zero issues!!

For a more in-depth detailed diagram on how to get your network going for using a few devices or a crap ton like me I have no problem guiding you through it to get a hassle free experience.

BTW, works pretty much on most routers, just have patients to set up the DAP 1360.

Sugarbear

• Level 1 Member
Re: DAP 1360 Works like a charm!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »

Works like a charm!

Might be worth mentioning that "adding the devices manually" to the DAP 1360 means adding the MAC address on the ACCESS CONTROL tab.

I can't believe how snappy my iPod touch wireless N access was from upstairs.  I'd done it all up to thsi point and this is the move that brought it all together.  Thanks so much for this tip.

KSUjedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »

Have a 1360 coming in the mail today and hopefully using your tip, will have it up and running and filling out my dead space soon.  One question, and apologize if I don't understand this since I don't actually have the unit/firmware/instructions in hand yet, anything special need to be set for a PC connected to the 1360's wired port? 

Have my 655 attached to my main computer, two HTPC's currently with wireless NIC's, and a third HTPC that needs access, planned to use the 1360's wired port instead of having to buy another wireless NIC, will that cause any problems? 

KSUjedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »

Also, what Firmware are you running on your 655 and your 1360?

ezterry

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:54 AM »

I'm hoping you can point out the obvious to what is wrong with my setup... I've been troubleshooting it for a while, but still have not been able to resolve some annoying issues.

My Setup:
DSL Router D-Link DGL 4500 (latest firmware)
DAP 1360 setup as repeater

My network has all manual security measures implemented including hidden SSID, MAC address filtering, and WPA2.

I added the DAP 1360 using the CD at first and later using the wizard via the admin website. I have the same SSID name setup on the DAP 1360 and am also hiding the SSID there. I also implemented MAC address filtering on the 1360, although not all entries that are on the DGL 4500 are on the DAP 1360 since they below to virtual systems that don't ever connect via the DAP 1360. Both devices have each others MAC address entered. I have tried auto scan for the channel and manual. However, the DAP 1360 (b version) doesn't allow to set the channel manually when in Repeater mode. However, it does show the correct channel on the status screen that is manually set on the DGL 4500. I have wireless N only selected on both devices.

Now for the issues... initially I can usually connect from my iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV... however, eventually these devices seem to lose connection or cannot access the Internet. I say seem because the outcome always seems to be a bit different on each device. Sometimes it shows that it connects, then it drops off. Other times it shows it's connected, but I can't get out to the internet. If I manually enter all the info for the network again on the i-device, it sometimes solves the issue. Othertimes I have to reboot the DAP 1360. If I take the DAP 1360 out of the mix (power it off)... everything works. However, the signal is so week then in the living room that it is not sufficient for streaming to my Apple TV and on the balcony I sometimes lose connection... that's why I originally purchased the DAP 1360. Also, roaming from one end of the house to the other also often causes issues.

I have tried turning various settings on and off... but nothing has solved the issues. Is there some setting that I am missing?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:21:21 AM by ezterry »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

Have you tried unhidding the SSID for both 4500 and 1360?

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.