• March 29, 2024, 08:05:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The old suggestion box...  (Read 4351 times)

ARand

• Level 1 Member
The old suggestion box...
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »

To DLINK:  I would like to suggest that the Web Site Filtering be enhanced to handle wild cards, such as *.gov (blocking all government domains), or *.cn (blocking all domains from China), or whatever root domains you want to choose.   

While it may seem minor, blocking root domains for places that you never plan to visit (mainly because you cannot speak the language) is a fine security feature, especially when dealing with Malware or Spyware that may be trying to communicate with someone in a distant country.

While you are reading, how about also making the DGL 4500 hardware display remain lit full-time, instead of switching off after a few seconds of display? 

Thx!

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: The old suggestion box...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

OLED's are NOT meant to be on full time.  That would cause the color to fade really really fast.  And then once it's gone, no more!  Not a very smart idea...sorry.

Web Site filtering is okay.  Although, if I want something blocked, I go and do it through the DNS servers. I do like your idea though.

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:50:46 PM »

For website filtering, you should check out OpenDNS.com

To use it, just enter the OpenDNS entries in the DNS field of your Router, then open a free account and you'll be able to block domains by category and by domain.

On this page, you'll find a useful list of 25 domains to be blocked and an explanation of why.
http://www.apluswebmaster.net/blocklist.html

Using Open DNS, along with category blocking, you get up to 50 separate domain entries for blocking.

As for the display, D-Link would need to use an LCD display on a newer model for it to be left on all the time.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

ARand

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »

I will look into OpenDNS.com, for sure.  Thanks for the good idea.  I would still like to see my little router able to use wild cards, however.  I already block over 80,000 domains with my HOSTS file, but I find that I cannot block an entire country this way, as I could with a wild card.   :)

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:42 AM »

Well, if you are looking to block a lot of websites like that, the DGL series routers aren't for you.  Enterprise routers and switches are the way to go here.

ARand

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »

Well, if you are looking to block a lot of websites like that, the DGL series routers aren't for you.  Enterprise routers and switches are the way to go here.

My post is a feature request to DLINK concerning the DGL-4500.

Since there is only 1 top level domain per country, allowing something like *.AR would block the entire country of Argentina, for example.  It is not hard to do programatically, and would not require a lot of resources, either.