• March 28, 2024, 07:13:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DES-1228P all lights red on switch  (Read 59633 times)

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
Re: DES-1228P all lights red on switch
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »

Dlink they do not provide any solution besides replacing them.  The cost of shipping this units is $35 each and Dlink should refund this expense and provide a faster replacement free of charge.
The key to owning a D-Link switch is to collect Air Miles off the shipping charges each time you send a switch back for repair.  If you own four or more switches, by the time the warranty runs out you've paid for a trip to Europe and back.

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 05:29:20 AM »

Guys, I've had it... Just got 2 service calls in the past 2 days, both DES-1228P's that went bad. I'm tired of paying shipping, tired of keeping multiple spares on the truck. I'm calling D-Link today, if they don't offer to replace all of the switches with a model that works, I will be seeking everyone effected for a class action lawsuit. We have a great case on our hands, we have all been cheated shipping charges, loss of business, and many more damages, and D-Link refuses to do anything about it.  Has everyone kept a good record of how many they have returned, and all of the charges they have incurred?

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

This sub-forum is your best evidence that everyone is having this problem; that it's not you doing something wrong.  You might want to save a copy of each page in case they take it down.

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

The RMA we received was missing the following parts:

1 x AC Power Cord - $15
1 x Bracket - $20
1 x Flat head Screw M3*6 - $3

That's the icing on the cake!

carpedeo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »

I'm joining the fray.  I've also had a switch just die on us and we've had it for less than a year.  Though from reading through this forum, it sounds like I've been pretty fortunate that it even lasted that long.

jhennessy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »

Just had me replacment unit bite the dust taking down my Wireless network.  And since I am using the DLink AP's designed around this switch I have to replace all the AP's to move to another switch.  I knew I should have spent a little extra $$ and went with the cisco, HP or 3com setups.

And the one that died this time was HW Ver A2 F/W Ver 1.30.15

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 05:03:26 AM »

Just had another one bite the dust. this is the 3rd time for this customer, 3rd replacement... Anyone at D-link want to call me and do some damage control, before I start a class action lawsuit? Conveniently this customer that it keeps happening to is a law office.

Anyone interested in joining a class action suit if I get one going?

D-Link doesn't seem to care otherwise... and we have all been RIPPED OFF!

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »

Sorry I can't help out with the lawsuit - our company washed our hands of the D-Link fiasco.

We made our distributor take them back.  It was impossible for them to deny that the D-Links were >100% failure rate garbage, that others found them to be garbage, and that D-Link policy is to simply ignore the problem and the users.

Instead I've posted word to a few other networking/tech forums to warn others.

akon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »

I purchased three of these units in March. One failed within two months of being put into service. The second failed three months into service. This evening the third one has bit the dust after six months.  Imagine my displeasure at finding a thread like this indicating the widespread problem with these devices. Looks like I had best invest in a different brand of unit for the next round of failures that will occur with the RMA replacements.

zebfink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »

Not sure anyone is still reading this thread... but just in case...

I have a DES-1228P that's been in service for close to 2+ years now... almost 3 years, if memory serves me right. 

Very little load and so far... so good.
(fingers crossed after reading this link)

I "think" ths issue at hand is the Power Supplies.
I say this because I also have (26) DES-3526 switches.... of which 17 of them have been RMA'd and replaced.

After 2 years of use... they started dying in waves.
We determined, from testing, that it was the power supplies that checked out.

It took 5 RMA's and a chatty RMA Tech to finally hear the words I was wanting to hear.....
They were aware of the Power Supply issue and were changing over to a new version.

In the DES-3526 case... HW versions had nothing to do with it....
If it had the old P/S.... it did or would eventually fail.
The P/S rev1 finally got replaced with P/S rev2.
They are marked as such.

I don't bother with RMA's and shipping back the units anymore.
Instead, DLink just shipps me spare P/S rev2 and I replace them myself.
Saves shipping on both ends.

Any RMA that I get back, or any new switch I purchase, I always open up to ensure it has the new power supply, since some of my installs are over 8 hours away.  Otherwise it doesn't go out.

I've never opened up the DES-1228P to see what it has for a power supply.... and I doubt that it's the same one as the DES-3526...
But given the fact that DLink is having P/S issues.... it wouldn't be a shock to hear that the DES-1228P suffers from the same issues!

Anyhow... something to think about and ask the RMA Dept next time you have one tank.

Zeb
Pages: 1 2 [3]