• April 26, 2024, 10:59:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: To little, to late  (Read 8340 times)

bluegrass

• Level 1 Member
To little, to late
« on: September 12, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »

I have been as patient as I could be waiting for a "fix" to the firmware fiasco that has occurred regarding the DLink routers that are Ubicom based.  But after the nonstop reboots, lockups, and loss of connectivity to my DGL-4500 ver A1, with 1.21NA installed, it was time for a change. So I am now a proud owner of a Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS, and all is calm in my domain.
While I remain confident that the software engineers at DLink will eventually solve these issues, it was to little, to late for me.
But please, hurry with the fix, so at the least I can try to recoup my losses buy trying to sell this P.O.S. :)

Smith

• Level 2 Member
Re: Too little, too late
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:52:25 AM »

>:(  Ya know, I just got a d-link router.  I think I might just return the damn thing.  I wonder if the d-link company ever reads this forum.  I think the people they have working up there or down there need to get fired. A bunch of over-payed no-goods doing a whole lot of nothing.  They need to read all the posts that people put in here.  Maybe the big boss of d-link needs to read all of the posts.  He should get off his high horse or his million dollar boat and do some work  :-X

bluegrass

• Level 1 Member
Re: To little, to late
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »

I might have to do that(sell it quick that is).
 As far as it working any better, the only real change has been that the WNDR3700 hasn't completely locked up the network...
I honestly believe that it is an Ubicom issue that Dlink can't correct due to poor communication, or lack thereof, combined with the inability to recreate these issues in their lab. Heck they may even have to wait for the Ubicom engineers to "fix" the issues, then apply the "fix" to their software, which ends up breaking something else downstream.
 All I know is, I've owned a DGL-4300(Great product), DIR-655(Great until the firmware fiasco, but luckily I sold it with a good working firmware, I think 1.11 and it is still running with out issues) and the DGL-4500, which until the firmware issues, was a decent performer for my 5ghz needs.
As far as waiting for the XtremeN 450, I will wait and see... but if you were to ask me today, I would have to say, "I'll pass to maintain the reliability of my home network, until Dlink gets their act together".

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »

Well there is one thing that may be different in the Lab from the real world.

In the real world you have almost constant attacks on your network which usually show up in the router logs.

In the lab, I assume the test networks would be isolated from the outside. If so, then they would not have all the real world attacks to stress the routers as this may make the difference.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

Snoopy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »

I only got the WNDR3700 to hold me over till D-Link comes out with the Extreme N 450. I thought it would be out sometime this year, but it's yet to even show up at the FCC.

Why would any sane person even contemplate purchasing another piece of hardware from D-Link after all the problems everyone has experienced thus far? It just doesn't make sense to me.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »

Why would any sane person even contemplate purchasing another piece of hardware from D-Link after all the problems everyone has experienced thus far? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Ask a user that has an A1 with f/w 1.02.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

Well I remember my a1 on 1.02 would spontaneously reboot when loading a rtsp page like livenewscameras.com and I complained about it.  Then they released 1.12 which seemed to address the problem and I could load the page without the reboot issue.  Although I'm currently using 1.16b3 after my a2 router turned stupid this morning I might roll back to 1.12 and stay with it a while.

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »

Yea only thing that i don't understand is how they go from a solid great router (dgl-4300) to a router with many problems (dgl-4500). Hopefully they fix the problem but then again it should of being fixed some time ago. Hopefully they step up and fix it soon before they loose customers.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:10:35 AM »

Well I also said that 1.02 was the best fw when compared to all later releases.  I hope that d-link dumps the ubicom cpu's in future models so these problems don't reoccur.

Snoopy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »

I have a Linksys WRT330N game router and it uses the same Ubicom cpu and it hasn't given me any problems since I bought it.
I bought the DGL-4500 because of the Shareport. What I got was a very unreliable router and a non-functioning Shareport.
It is a good thing I still have my Linksys or I would not be able to post this reply.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

Well I also said that 1.02 was the best fw when compared to all later releases.  I hope that d-link dumps the ubicom cpu's in future models so these problems don't reoccur.

Sorry, Ubicom cpu's aren't the problem.  In fact, it's D-Link's poor coding.

bluegrass

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

Interesting to note that. It really drives home the point that DLink has really dropped the ball with this series of routers(across their entire product line), and in the process driven away once loyal customers. Maybe they will need a bailout!?!? ::)

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »

Well I also noticed that only d-link has mutiple models featuring the ubicom cpu.  If your linksys works well then I'm happy for you.  I also agree that d-link and its poor coding are responsible for our woes.  I really don't have a lot of faith in d-link to correct the issues we all face especially considering how long these issues have plagued us.  I personally will make sure that my next router does not have an ubicom cpu in it.

SkyOwl

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »

The only DGL4500 problem that really bothered me was the lockups.  As I stated before, I use a DAP2553 access point for wireless access to my network and it works great.  The DGL4500 lockups and automatic resets really caused issues for my network (read wife).  Also, I have 9 computers and 2 PS3s on my netwrok which automatticay backup daily to my server.  At least one of the backups will fail because of the resets and/or lockups (says backup failed because your computer was restarted)...unacceptable situation. 

I disabled DNS relay and that helped (got 14 days uptime vs 7 max before disabling DNS relay) but it didn't seem to help the automatic backup issues.

So I fired up a WNDR3700 a couple of days ago...works great, much more responsive than the 4500 and so far no issues.  The only complaint I have is the QOS is manual setup on the WNDR3700 vs automatic classification for the DGL4500....a real pain in the...  So far I haven't even enabled the QOS in the WNDR3700 since the router seems fast enough to not need it (I have a 50Mbs down/ 10Mbs up connection).  On the plus side, the WNDR3700 has a awesome bandwidth usage meter implementation.

Still hoping for stable firmware for the 4500 as I have two of those units.

cdahl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:52 AM »

Just wanted to weigh in as another who upgraded to 1.21 with disconnect problems (a few times a week).   Disconnects seem to increase as number of users online increases - but thats just my unscientific observation.  I agree with all the comments here expressing disappointment in DLINK for not being able to resolve .