• March 18, 2024, 06:59:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SOLVED Anyone know how to vpn on DIR-655 to home network & have internet access?  (Read 57689 times)

ciris

• Level 2 Member

I recently picked this up after reading all the reviews to test it out and see what I could do with it (not to mention I wanted a 2nd gigabit router) Originally I had my WNR3500v2 w/dd-wrt hosting my internet and was my main router. Now I'm using it as a wireless bridge to DIR-655.

Anyways with dd-wrt firmware it was super easy to setup vpn of which Ive been using for years as mentioned in this article here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConfiguringPPTPVPNWithAlternateLinksysRouterFirmware.aspx

Can one make an easy vpn setup like this on the DIR-655? This is almost the deal breaker for me if I cant get the vpn to work (preferrably) this way or at all. I like being able to access my home network and browse the internet freely from work and if needed send WOL commands to access my computers without having to leave them on all day long.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:37:25 PM by ciris »
WNR3500_v2 w/dd-wrt mini v24 sp2
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)
WNR300N_v1.1 (bricked on the way for some jtag love)
WRT54G-TM w/dd-wrt big v24 sp2
SB5101 x2 w/Haxorware 1.1 rev39 diag

sesca

• Level 2 Member

The DIR-655 does not have a PPTP server built-in. You will not be able to use the DIR-655 as a VPN endpoint.

ciris

• Level 2 Member

Thanks for the reply! Just to make sure I understand, the router cannot be an endpoint, which means I would have to setup a computer to act as the server, correct?
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member

I recently picked this up after reading all the reviews to test it out and see what I could do with it (not to mention I wanted a 2nd gigabit router) Originally I had my WNR3500v2 w/dd-wrt hosting my internet and was my main router. Now I'm using it as a wireless bridge to DIR-655.

Anyways with dd-wrt firmware it was super easy to setup vpn of which Ive been using for years as mentioned in this article here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConfiguringPPTPVPNWithAlternateLinksysRouterFirmware.aspx

Can one make an easy vpn setup like this on the DIR-655? This is almost the deal breaker for me if I cant get the vpn to work (preferrably) this way or at all. I like being able to access my home network and browse the internet freely from work and if needed send WOL commands to access my computers without having to leave them on all day long.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

You can ask this guy  ;D

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72007&sid=f000d8b0c7a77153cd72b95b65c36276
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

ciris

• Level 2 Member

lol @ kthaddock

Im trying....maybe Im not asking the right questions...
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)

sesca

• Level 2 Member

Thanks for the reply! Just to make sure I understand, the router cannot be an endpoint, which means I would have to setup a computer to act as the server, correct?

Correct.

ciris

• Level 2 Member

Thanks for the reply Sesca!....(sigh)....back to the drawing board.
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)

ciris

• Level 2 Member

I'm getting closer. I'm at work so I cant test and verify that this works. But my aim for testing; is to have the DIR-655 host my internet connection and provide lan and wireless access, add my second router WNR3500v2 with dd-wrt as a wireless bridge to the DIR-655 (that part works) and last but not least still be able to access and use the PPTP VPN server in the WNR3500v2.

Here's some interesting links Ive found.

A site with a similar visual on what I want to accomplish
http://pigtail.net/nicholas/pptp/combinations.png

VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524 - Networking
http://fixunix.com/networking/37500-vpn-pass-through-not-working-d-link-di-524-a.html

Only thing left is for me to go home and test it. I already have the wireless bridge working properly without hiccups. If I can get this to work I'll maybe hold on to this router but Im leaning on selling it and getting a WRT610N v2 and flashing dd-wrt to it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:57:50 AM by ciris »
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)

ciris

• Level 2 Member

;D Finally got it working just fine. My WNR3500v2 with dd-wrt is wirelessly bridged to the DIR-655 gateway and works as the PPTP VPN end point!!! dd-wrt rocks!

With this find, I might hold on to this router just a little longer...
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)

ciris

• Level 2 Member

Here's a pic of the setup I wanted to accomplish. It's similar to the first line except that my DIR-655 is wirelessly bridged to the WNR3500 and the WNR3500 acts as the vpn endpoint. (if you dont have a dd-wrt capable router then youll have to use a computer or another device as the vpn endpoint)

Here's some links for reference to get you familiar:

1. Wireless Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

2. Repeater Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

3. Configuring PPTP VPN

4. VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524 - Networking
http://fixunix.com/networking/37500-vpn-pass-through-not-working-d-link-di-524-a.html

Here's how I did it. (refer to links 1 & 2) I set my DIR-655 ip as 192.168.1.1 (you could set this to whatever you want), which will also be the default gateway address. Setup your DDNS service and anything else. For the wireless side you have to pick a specific wireless channel, channel width, encryption type, SSID and password, etc.

On the dd-wrt router (refer again to links 1, 2 & 3) set router address to 192.168.1.2 with the default gateway the ip address from the first router which was 192.168.1.1. On the wireless side while the router is in AP mode, setup the specific wireless channel, channel width, encryption type, SSID and password, etc exactly as the host AP. Setup your DDNS service if you wish (although I dont think it matters since the host router is setup with ddns already plus the ddns updates dont occur to the second router as it seems to not work going from wan to wireless lan). Under VPN the server ip will be the IP address of dd-wrt router since its hosting the VPN endpoint. For me it was 192.168.1.2 finally change it client bridge and save and apply settings.

Back to the hosting router the DIR-655. (refer to link 4) Youll need to forward ports or create virtual servers to allow the vpn traffic to come through. I chose the virtual server route as mentioned in the link.

on my router dir-655, you will need to set this in the virtual server list...

Gre:
Under traffic type, the protocol is "Other", and set to 4. The public and private field should greyed out. Ip, is ip to your server or vpn endpoint. For my case it was 192.168.1.2

pptp:
Under traffic type, the protocol is "TCP", and set to 6. The public and private field is set to 1723. Ip, is ip to your server or vpn endpoint.

Make sure your software firewall allows this. (you can disable it)
Make sure in the ALG section that pptp is checked. (all the options there should be already checked by default)

If everything is setup successfully youll should be able to create and connect to a vpn connection successfully (refer to link 3) In addition to this I have full access to both routers. I can type the ip address of either router and get to the router page successfully. I can also remote manage the routers as well.
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)