• March 29, 2024, 12:02:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problem playing WMA files  (Read 8445 times)

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Problem playing WMA files
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:18:20 AM »

I am playing WMA music files from a DSM-G600 and also from a PC using WMP 11. The problem is at random intervals there is no sound. The DSM-520 shows the song is playing. When the song ends the DSM 520 stops as if it is paused. When I press the next button the next song plays with sound but eventually this problem will occur again. The files on the DSM-G600 and the PC are the same. The songs that has no sound will play OK if they are selected from a folder on the DSM-520. Problem occurs when using either the DSM-G600 or the PC as the server.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Problem playing WMA files
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

Are these WMA files downloaded from a service or ripped from you own CD collection? Do mp3 files play properly?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:56:35 AM »

These files are ripped from my cd collection using WMP version 9 to 11. I have not tried MP3 format. I have approximatly 8000  .wma files loaded onto the DSM-G600's internal drive.
I am currently ripping the same cd's to a USB drive connected to the DSM-G600 in .wav format. I have around 5000 files on the usb drive and so far I have sound all the time playing the .wav format. I have not finished ripping all the cd's and have only tried playback once but I am optimistic the .wav format will work OK. Still puzzeld about .wma files not working well.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »

Using WMP11 as you media server are you able to play your .wma files properly from your DSM-520? The DSM-G600 UPnP media server does not support .wma or .wmv so these files must be located on your PC streaming from WMP11 server.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

No, I have the same problem playing .wma files using WMP11 as the media server. WMA files play from the DSM-G600 and the PC. Both with the same problem. As I mentioned earlier I have ripped the CD collection to .wav files and they are playing from a usb drive attached to the DSM-G600 just fine using the DSM-G600 as the media server. No problems so far and I have played hours of .wav files.
I was not aware that .wma files are not supported by the DSM-G600 media server. What audio formats are supported by the DSM-G600 media server?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:14:21 AM »

All the same files audio files are supported but to play .wma Windows Media Player 11 is required as the media server to support the DRM (Digital rights management) of .wma files.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

?. What does DRM have to do with files ripped from you own CD collection. Anyways the .wma format does not play weill from either WMP11 or the DSM-G600 on the DSM-520. I have switched to the .wav format and all is well. My .wma files are gone forever. The .wav format sounds better and works better. I would recommend this format to anyone who is ripping thier own CD's to a computer for playback. Thw .wav format takes alot of space but large hard drives are pretty inexpensive these days.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

When ripping your audio Cd's with Windows Media Player 11 make sure you are not selecting lossless or Pro. The DSM-520 does not support WMA lossless, WMA Pro

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:04 PM »

I rip the .wma files at 128kbps. At this point I use .wav files. They work fine. Therfore I no longer have an issue with .wma files. Thank You.