• April 15, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 1.05 and BitTorrent?  (Read 33390 times)

estienne

1.05 and BitTorrent?
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »

First my configuration:

newly bougth dns-323, inserted 2 X 500 GB HD. Received with 1.04, now with 1.05, reformat everything (no data yet). I did not used the "Easy Search Utility", I just used the web browser to configure my device. I even assign a pseudo static IP in my router for the device to always have the same IP (DHCP, but still static...). No problem there. Samba (share) is working well, I already put over 200 GB of data for "testing".

When I log on on the "downloads", there is a new option "BitTorrent" (which I know well and use for many years, early adopter). When I click on it, I receive this message:

"Warning: Bit Torrent program is not installed.
You can find the Bit Torrent installation program in the Easy Search Utility."

I'm a bit surprise, but well I started the utility, and it doesn't find my device. I don't really need this utility. So... How can I add the Bit Torrent functionnality to the device? Do I need to put startup script on the root of the device (I saw "fun pack" on another forum...)? I there anybody that can make an archive of the necessary utility?

Any help appreciated.

sgtdale

• Level 1 Member
Re: 1.05 and BitTorrent?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

From the new D-Link Easy Search Utility (ver 4.2.0.0)
you  select your DNS-323 and press the BitTorrent  button.

The DNS-323 will then restart and you can then use bit torrent

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3025&question=DNS-323

sgtdale

estienne

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

Thx for the tips. I'm pretty sure I've been to this page, and the utility wasn't there, but then again, maybe I just didn't go down enough!

I've downloaded the tools, run it, and same thing than the previous version: I can't see my device in this tool.

Anyone can help? How can I make this tool "see" the device witouth loosing my configuration? "Refresh" button doesn't help. The IP of the NAS is 192.168.1.11 - not in the 192.168.0.x that I can see as an example. Moving to 192.168.0 would be a lot of work (reconfiguration of the router may take an hour, I'm not sure, with all my static IP, port forwarding & cie). I'm not even sure that moving to 192.168.0 would solve this anyways.

Any way NOT to use this tool to install bit torrent? Probably just a bunch of files to put on the drive?

Thx.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:10:01 PM by estienne »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

The DNS-323 should get a DHCP address from you router your IP should be fine at 192.168.a.xx. Make sure you are using Easy Search Utility 4.2.0.0. does you DNS-323 show up and do you have a Volume_1? Highlight you DNS-323 and click the BitTorrent button on the Easy Search Utility. This should setup BitTorrent on the Drive installed. You should not have Volume_1 and BT under Drive mapping when you click your DNS-323 in the Easy Search Utility
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »

I have these config :
DHCP give IP (fixed on the DHCP) to the NAS (always 192.168.2.25).
I have 2 Drive on it, one name VOLUME_1, and the other VOLUME_2

Attempt # 1
So, i click on the easy search utility, click on the discover NAS (note that i unmap everything in windows)
after i click on VOLUME_1 and i click on the BITTORENT.
I try Bittorent function in the Download menu, not working (it said i need to install Bittorent from the easy search utility.

Attempt # 2
So, i click on the easy search utility, click on the discover NAS (note that i unmap everything in windows)
after i click on the BITTORENT.
I try Bittorent function in the Download menu, not working (it said i need to install Bittorent from the easy search utility.

Attempt # 3
after i click on VOLUME_1 and i click on the BITTORENT.
I also try to MAP the VOLUME_1 as a "Z" drive, with no result.

Is there something missing ? Do i need to delete a drive before ?
All info i found about the Bittorent feature seem to tell me i have set everything right !.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:29:25 PM by Banshee1971 »

estienne

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »

For everybody's information, I found the source of my problem, ie NAS not discover by Search Utility.

1) I Mapped the NAS before the operation
2) I run the utility from the NAS (network), and Windows wasn't asking about "unblock this program"

I locally copied the Easy Search Utility, unmap my drives, run the utility, told Windows to shut up and accept this program, and THEN I could access / see the device AND install BitTorrent.

It's now time to explore a bit this new functionnality.

Thx Banshee1971 for giving me some hints about unmapping...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »

Please see this FAQ from The D-Link support website.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »

Please see this FAQ from The D-Link support website.

Thanks for this link... but... it's not working. The unit reboot, but i can't see the BT drive (or folder). Even if i boot from a clean computer without any mapping on it.
As i describe before, i have 2 drive on the NAS. One of 500GB, and the other of 300 GB. Both drive are not mirror at all.

The funny thing, is that i notice a folder appear on VOLUME_2, named "Nas_Prog" with a subfolder "BT" on it, that include 2 files. BT (5 Meg) and BTDOG (2k).
When i try the BITTORENT under the NAS interface, it said that the software are not install.

Next step, i copy these folder (NAS_PROG) from VOLUME_2 to VOLUME_1 ... and try again... no luck.
I retry the easy search utility (after copy the folder from VOLUME_1 to VOLUME_2), and finaly, the BT Folder appear under the Easy Search Utility. I got a "connection to server failled" ... it's a good start, i am progressing.

I check under "NAs_prog\BT" and notice a new file "btsettings"(only under the VOLUME_1) ... with this config on it :
webui_port: 54068
dir_active: /mnt/HD_b2/BT/incomplete
dir_completed: /mnt/HD_b2/BT/complete
dir_torrent_files: /mnt/HD_b2/BT/torrents

but still the "Connection to server failed" ...

I duplicate the folder structure on both drive, with the "btsettings" file, and reboot the NAS.

Finally .. it's working... now i need to find "why?" ... wich folder i need to keep, and on wich drive...

Any idea ?

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:25:08 AM »

Funny... After download a Torrent, i'm able to copy it somewhere else, but unable to delete the file from the NAS. I try to give manually "full" permission to the folder, but it change nothing... no right to delete the file on the BT folder (complete folder). Same result after a reboot.

So now, the only way to delete the download file are to format the drive...

Any suggestion, telnet command,... ?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »

Hmm Very strange anyone else see this issue? Are you using Network access rules with users? If so try deleting the users and re-creating you rules.

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »

I just tried and had the same problem (couldn't delete the completed file). when i updateded the firmware the users were still there but i had to re-associate the shares. I'll try deleting my users and re-sharing.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »

Hmm Very strange anyone else see this issue? Are you using Network access rules with users? If so try deleting the users and re-creating you rules.

I didn't test this one. Yes, i use Rules, but given by Groups, and the group have FULL RIGHT to drive 1 and 2. All folder works fine, exept for the BT folder.

I try today to reformat both drive (remove from NAS, erase with Windows, install in the NAS again)
- Drive 1 : 500G
- Drive 2 : 320 G
When i try the Bittorent installation, it create "again" the nas_prog folder under Volume_2 (320 Go) ... and Bittorrent not working. So i copy this folder to drive_1, and i got another error message. So now, i think the last thing are to delete the folder from Drive_2, and check if Bittorent works...

I will try the delete/recreate user after lunch (with Groups).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:02:54 PM by Banshee1971 »

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »

I done my test....
Only working if i remove VOLUME_2. Not working at all if the VOLUME_2 are there. So i re-format VOLUME_2, and at the same time, test the TORRENT application ... working OK, and also able to delete file.
When i insert the format drive in the NAS, it ask to format it. After the reboot... not working (the Torrent application).

I notice this : on the NETWORK ACCESS section, permission switch from VOLUME_1 to VOLUME_2 ... so i delete all permission and recreate them (full right for the group).

no result.
So i retry EASY SEARCH UTILITY ... and i notice these folder appear on VOLUME_2 :
- BT (with subfolder COMPLETE and TORRENT)  .... no right to create or erase...  i have permission on VOLUME_1 ... but not on VOLUME_2 .. same result if i delete and recreate the NETWORK ACCESS group on both disk.
- NAS_PROG

on Volume_1, NAS_PROG/BT
i notice these setting
under BTSETTINGS.DAT :
d25:auto_bandwidth_management4:true9:bind_porti6881e17:conns_per_torrenti50e10:dir_active24:/mnt/HD_a2/BT/incomplete13:dir_completed22:/mnt/HD_a2/BT/complete17:dir_torrent_files22:/mnt/HD_a2/BT/torrents11:max_dl_ratei-1e21:max_total_connectionsi200e11:max_ul_ratei-1e16:max_ul_rate_seedi-1e10:seed_ratioi0e9:seed_timei0e20:ul_slots_per_torrenti4ee

conclusion : Bittorent not working if you have 2 drive, both configure as seperate drive.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:20:56 AM by Banshee1971 »

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »

I tried deleting/re-creating and connecting my user. Still can Not delete the stuff in the BT Completed folder. formating is NOT an option for me as i have almost a terabyte of information on it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Something else that needs to be looked at. I dont like how the BT folder automaticly has a share for ALL to access. Im able to make any other folder private i should be able to restrict access to that folder as well.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:05:06 PM by FastM »

flibottf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »

Funny... After download a Torrent, i'm able to copy it somewhere else, but unable to delete the file from the NAS. I try to give manually "full" permission to the folder, but it change nothing... no right to delete the file on the BT folder (complete folder). Same result after a reboot.

So now, the only way to delete the download file are to format the drive...

Any suggestion, telnet command,... ?
got the same problem.... no write access at all...
Pages: [1] 2 3