• March 28, 2024, 09:58:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Media server issue  (Read 22909 times)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Media server issue
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »

Ensuring troubleshooting allaspects of this problem as much as possible to help provide more details to D-Link of what has been done.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »

I did some testing today with the Router and DVD player connectivity and here are the findings:
1. When the DVD is directly connected to the router via a wire connection and disabling the wireless connectivity on the DVD, the same result occure. The DVD player can see only some folders and some files within these folders but not all files. These folders and files change every time I try to browse the USB(1) drive connected to the router, every time randomly different folders and files show and others disappear.
2. When the WD external drive is connected directly to the DVD player through a USB port, the player can see all folders and all files, and can play all files including MKV files.
3. When the WD external drive is connected directly to the laptop (Windows 7 and UPnP device host service is automatically started) all the folders and files on the drive are visible and playable.
4. When the WD drive is connected to the router (DIR-857) and SharePort utility is running on the laptop, all folders and files are visible from the laptop.

So my conclusion here is whether the WD external drive is connected to the router through the router USB port and the router is connected to the DVD player wirelessley or through a network cable, the DVD player cannot see all the folders and files on that drive. The way forward for me is to physically move the WD drive and connect it to the DVD player through the player USB port when I want to watch a movie stored on the drive.

I hope the above results provide clear answers to your analysis.

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 01:37:42 AM »

I did some testing today with the Router and DVD player connectivity and here are the findings:
I hope the above results provide clear answers to your analysis.

EXCELLENT SLEUTHING! Thank you so much for taking the time to chase this down as you have, and then take even more time to share your results with the community so others can benefit.

Clarification on 3., please: 'all the folders and files on the drive are visible and playable.' - by the DVD player connecting wirelessly, just as you were trying to to the router?

I suspect the specifics of the external drive (other than USB) aren't part of the issue.

It would be interesting if someone could confirm the same results via SD card. (I've been running into matching issues there. I suspect those issues come down to it not understanding 4GB cards formatted FAT32. The card doesn't even show up as a mounted device - but that's another story, for another thread.)

It would also be interesting to know if you renamed or copied one of the missing files to a file type you do see, if it starts showing up. (It would also be interesting to know if it played - e.g. .mpeg4 or .mkv -> .mp4 or .mpg, and it all just worked.)

If you turn on web access, are you able to duplicate your results via local computer web browser going to the router/usb drive. (This would take your DVD player out of the mix, reducing the problem to strictly a router issue.)

It sounds like, then, a router (SharePort?) firmware issue of missing media file types, an issue which could be added to the firmware wishlist. Preferably for the list of candidate file types to be exposed via router web configuration interface, where it can be user updated on the fly.

Thank you again for your diligence on this!

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »

Thank you for your detailed analysis to try solving this issue or at least identifying the cause.
On point 3, I meant that the files and folders on the external drive are viewable and playable from the laptop using SharePoirt2 utility not from the DVD player.

Unfortunately I do not have another computer to try some of the other possibilities, just one laptop.
When the folders are renamed there are couple of results that take place randomley:
1. Sometimes the DVD cannot see anymore folders or files
2. Some of the renamed folders appear but contain less number of files than actually stored
3. Some of the previously visible folders become not visible

So as you can see there is a random behavior taking place when the DVD is reading the external drive through the router WiFi and wired connectivity. I think it might have to do with the router firmware.

Hope this helps.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »

After making the changes to the drive, was the router restarted so the changes could be recognized by the router. I believe the router scans the drive for file information and if any file are added or changed while connected to the router, it needs to be restarted so the changes take effect on the router.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »

You are right Furry, the router needs to be restarted to show the drive contents. When I restart the router and the DVD player here is what happens (when viewing the DVD player media files under USB(1):
2 Folders are visible (from actual 5 folders that exist on the drive)
The first visible folder shows the correct number of movie files (2) and sub-folders (4)
The second folder shows just 7 movie files (from actual 20 movie files stored in the folder)

The remaining 3 folders are not visible.

Hope this answers your question.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

Ok...does.
Well, I've forwarded this on to D-Link for review. Not sure what they will respond with.
I would recommend that you phone contact D-Link support, level 2 or higher and ask about this.

Let us know if you find out anything.

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »

You are right Furry, the router needs to be restarted to show the drive contents. When I restart the router and the DVD player here is what happens (when viewing the DVD player media files under USB(1):
2 Folders are visible (from actual 5 folders that exist on the drive)
The first visible folder shows the correct number of movie files (2) and sub-folders (4)
The second folder shows just 7 movie files (from actual 20 movie files stored in the folder)

The remaining 3 folders are not visible.

Hope this answers your question.

Just to be clear - it has never been an issue of renaming -folders-, but of renaming -files-.

I speculate that the router does not list folders that do not contain files it understands to be playable.

"3. When the WD external drive is connected directly to the laptop (Windows 7 and UPnP device host service is automatically started) all the folders and files on the drive are visible and playable."

- With UPnP enabled and the USB drive connected to the laptop, does the DVD player see more files from the laptop than it did when the USB was connected to the router?

Can you tell us a file type that the DVD -does see via the laptop- that it -does *not* see via the router-?

Can you tell us a file type that the DVD does not see on the router that you know to be there?

- I am assuming you do not see some file types in one folder, and then see those same file types in another folder.

[@FurryNutz - are you able to dig up any information as to how long a newly powered up router takes to complete the indexing of a connected USB drive? Further, do you know of any indication, perhaps on a router web configuration page, to indicate indexing is complete? i.e. Could some files not yet be showing up as indexing is incomplete, but they appear later? Could @HS-1971 just not be waiting long enough for the indexing to complete? @HS-1971: I assume when the router first powers up, the USB drive will rapidly blink for some time as the router indexes the drive - does the blinking ever settle down, and once it does do you see more of what you expect to on the DVD player?]

If you connect the USB drive to the router and enable web access, if you go to http://<router ip address>:8181 on your laptop, are you able to see file types that the DVD player cannot? (Perhaps click the icon top right to display in folder mode not media type mode.)

"2 Folders are visible (from actual 5 folders that exist on the drive)"

- if you place a dummy file, via SharePort on the laptop, into a folder that does not show up on the DVD, such as "placeholder.mp3", does the dvd now see that folder? [I speculate the router indexing keeps up with new files added on the fly.]

"The second folder shows just 7 movie files (from actual 20 movie files stored in the folder)"

- can you tell us the file types of the files it does not see? Do these same file types appear in any other folder?

- Do you see anything particularly different about the files it does not see? Say, very large (> 2 GB)?

How big is the USB drive? How is it formatted - NTFS, FAT32, ???

- sorry, never mind, you answer that in your first post: 1.8TB, NTFS.

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »

- With UPnP enabled and the USB drive connected to the laptop, does the DVD player see more files from the laptop than it did when the USB was connected to the router?

Can you tell us a file type that the DVD -does see via the laptop- that it -does *not* see via the router-?

Can you tell us a file type that the DVD does not see on the router that you know to be there?

- I am assuming you do not see some file types in one folder, and then see those same file types in another folder.

If you connect the USB drive to the router and enable web access, if you go to http://<router ip address>:8181 on your laptop, are you able to see file types that the DVD player cannot? (Perhaps click the icon top right to display in folder mode not media type mode.)

"2 Folders are visible (from actual 5 folders that exist on the drive)"

- if you place a dummy file, via SharePort on the laptop, into a folder that does not show up on the DVD, such as "placeholder.mp3", does the dvd now see that folder? [I speculate the router indexing keeps up with new files added on the fly.]

"The second folder shows just 7 movie files (from actual 20 movie files stored in the folder)"

- can you tell us the file types of the files it does not see? Do these same file types appear in any other folder?

- Do you see anything particularly different about the files it does not see? Say, very large (> 2 GB)?

How big is the USB drive? How is it formatted - NTFS, FAT32, ???

- sorry, never mind, you answer that in your first post: 1.8TB, NTFS.

First of all the extrnal drive is Western Digital MyPassport ITB capacity, USB 3.0, and NTFS.
I am not sure what do you mean by connecting the drive to the laptop and viewing the files from the DVD player, how will the DVD player will see the laptop and the drive?

If I connect the USB drive to the router and enable web access, going to http://<router ip address>:8181 on the laptop, yes I am able to see all file types that the DVD player cannot but no folder names, just list of files but I cannot play them from the web access page. When Shareport Web Access is accessed, the DVD player does not see other files or folder. In fact when I was testing today and started the router the first time, onlt one folder was visible showing 2 files (out of 20). When I restarted the router, 2 folders were visible and more files as well, but not all files in these folders were visible. Really confusing.

The file types the DVD can read and play: MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV. The same file types are not visible in the same folder and in other folders that are completely invisible. I don't think the file type has anything to do with it.

Hope this helps, again I think it is related to the router and nothing else. I am reluctant to contact D-Link support as I feel this issue will not be solved by them, it is most probably related to the router design or firmware.

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »

I am not sure what do you mean by connecting the drive to the laptop and viewing the files from the DVD player, how will the DVD player will see the laptop and the drive?

You have said elsewhere that your laptop is presenting media files to your network already, via UPnP. I forget the gui steps, but this is media player network sharing stuff - services are UPnP, SSDP, and windows media network sharing, IIRC.

Once set this way, the DVD player will see the files off your laptop in exactly the same manner it sees them off the router. Including once you plug your usb drive in. (I have always assumed this is not your preferred place for the USB drive as the laptop likely moves around within your residence, and it's a PITA to drag the USB drive with you.)

A corresponding test ... with the usb drive connected to the router, does the win 7 laptop media player see the same files as the dvd player when the laptop media player app looks to the router for files? More files? Less?

If I connect the USB drive to the router and enable web access, going to http://<router ip address>:8181 on the laptop, yes I am able to see all file types that the DVD player cannot but no folder names, just list of files but I cannot play them from the web access page.

That's OK - what you just PROVED is that the router is able to present those files to the world as media files. You've proved it knows those file types to be media files - therefore the DVD player should be seeing them. (I am assuming to the router's mind, presentation via web access and via UPnP, are the same things.)

When Shareport Web Access is accessed, the DVD player does not see other files or folder.

I'm confused with this - Shareport, Web Access, and DVD player are 3 distinct things that don't overlap. Shareport is windows file sharing via the router (Shareport isn't even necessary for this, it's a windows utility tapping into the native capability of the router). Web Access is the router presenting files via internet browser. DVD Player needs UPnP availability (which the router does natively.) Sort of like using wood, plastic, or steel, to build something. Still gets built, just different materials.

In fact when I was testing today and started the router the first time, onlt one folder was visible showing 2 files (out of 20). When I restarted the router, 2 folders were visible and more files as well, but not all files in these folders were visible. Really confusing.

Presumably your USB drive has a light on it to indicate when it's being accessed. When you first turn on the router, does that light blink very rapidly for some period of time? That would be the router indexing it. Does it eventually settle down? (May take some time, even an hour or more?, for that to happen.)

The file types the DVD can read and play: MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV. The same file types are not visible in the same folder and in other folders that are completely invisible. I don't think the file type has anything to do with it.

It does if my speculation is correct - if the router doesn't agree that those file types are media files, it won't present them to the DVD player. One way to tell, given your message - are there folders where you see files of one type, but not another? e.g. You see the .avi files, but not the .mkv files? The only explanation I can think of for missing folders though is that the router has not yet indexed them. Which doesn't seem to apply if they display in web access.

Hope this helps, again I think it is related to the router and nothing else. I am reluctant to contact D-Link support as I feel this issue will not be solved by them, it is most probably related to the router design or firmware.

It does help - Furry and I are speculating, and your excellent efforts chase down the accuracy of those speculations.

I sure get the reluctance to contact D-Link support, however, what it will buy you is assurance of the specifics of how things are supposed to work. At least then you'll know what you should see, as opposed to the guessing we're all doing, here.

This is starting to feel like a DVD player issue, not a router issue - if the win 7 laptop can see the files off the router via upnp, but the dvd player cannot, it's a dvd player (UPnP) issue. Recognizing that DVD access via router/UPnP and via local direct usb or net connection is akin to building with plastic vs wood. (Different sharing / file access mechanisms / program code.)

The one other thing I can think of ... when you have the drive connected to the laptop next, perhaps as one of the tests in the first paragraph ... run a chkdsk on the drive. right-click, properties, tools, <something> or other. Just in case the file system indices are corrupt. Then, after moving the drive back to the router leave it overnight. See if the DVD player shows you all the things you expect, the next day.

Good luck with this all. Sorry you're going through it all / things aren't more clear / obvious. I get the hope was that things would 'just work'. Sorry it's not.

leooel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »

Yet another story on media server functionality failing with dir-857. D-Link guys, Im soon on my knees begging you to fix this. Its not rocket science.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=52973.0

Yet another story on media server functionality failing with dir-857. D-Link guys, Im soon on my knees begging you to fix this. Its not rocket science.

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »

I am honestly tired of testing different options to make this work besides I am not a technical savvy to try  different router settings to find the culprit in of why the DVD player cannot simply read the drive contents. The easy work around for me that I currently use and I am fine with it is to disconnect the WD drive from the router and connect it to the DVD player USB port when I want to watch a movie, only then I can play any movie file stored on that drive, period.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »

Understand the frustrations.

Sounds like that is a work around for now. I don't know when and if D-Link will get this fixed. They are aware of it and presume reviewing the situation.

One thing maybe that might work, You could see if a USB to network LAN adapter could help this. Just need a form of an IP address to connect to from the DVD player to the USB drive.

I have my USB drives connected to a dedicated Windows 7 PC and shared out that way.

zarkuon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »

Hello,
I would like to support the discussion.
I also have problem with the content visible to the connected computers/TV. I'm using the router with WD 1TB My-Book HD and it non logically shows just a bit of the files/folders. I have a lot of pictures from same camera (let's say 90 GB) and I can see just a few of them trough the media server. I got none of my movies. Fact that could help the investigation is that in the movies folder I always see the first bottom folder, but not the files on it which is .mkv. Is there a chance that .mkv files stops the indexing. For examle my HD organization:

/
  Films
    3D
      <FirstMovieFolder>

<file>.mkv
      <SecondMovieFolder>
        <file>.avi
  Music
  Pictures
    ...lots of folders with .jpg
and I can browse only till the blue folders. I'll try soon to rearrange the folders (at least I'll remove the first movie to see if it will succeed to show the second one correctly).

I posted in the topic for feature requests to have option to select folders to be scanned/indexed for different categories.
I don't know yet if the router support subtitles from separate file, but if not it would be really half functionality of a typical media server.

I'm very disappointed so far as I took this router mainly because I wanted to be able to share the HD content with my TV and PC without having them both working. And the product doesn't do the job. I have another very annoying problem with wired connection drops, but I'll post on the appropriate topic.

@FurryNutz I'm from Bulgaria, got the router from e-Bay UK.
When I updated trough the update button it got version 1.3 (not sure which region). I tried 1.4 (also not sure exactly which region)
Currently I'm with FW I got for the EU region (1.01b09) ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/Products/dir/dir-857/driver_software/DIR-857_fw_reva_101b09_ALL_en_20120504.zip
which is from http://www.dlink.com/bg/bg/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-857-dualband-hd-media-router
I made 3 factory resets after I put the last FW and I made again the setup manually.
All these versions got the issues I mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:24:06 AM by zarkuon »
D-link DIR 857 FW1.01b09 for EU region
Pages: 1 [2]