• April 19, 2024, 04:42:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Picking a client wireless router. Is DAP-1522 a good choice?  (Read 9545 times)

sandrejev

• Level 1 Member
Picking a client wireless router. Is DAP-1522 a good choice?
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »

Hi there. First of all I'm not very familiar with concept I will ask now so please don't blame me for stupid questions.

What I want to do is to connect my XBOX to internet. My setups is as follows:
D-Link DIR-615 is connected by wire to internet
All laptops in house are connected wirelessly to DIR-615
I want XBOX (and IPTV in future) to be connected by wire to SECOND ROUTER
I then want my SECOND ROUTER to be connected wirelessly to DIR-615 as client

What router should I choose for my SECOND ROUTER? I don't wan't it to be a repeater but just a client to which I would connect everything by wire. I looked at DAP-1522. Will it be able to fulfill my needs or I should pick another router? A link to an article on how I should configure it would be nice too.

anon

• Level 3 Member
Re: Picking a client wireless router. Is DAP-1522 a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »

Hi there. First of all I'm not very familiar with concept I will ask now so please don't blame me for stupid questions.

What I want to do is to connect my XBOX to internet. My setups is as follows:
D-Link DIR-615 is connected by wire to internet
All laptops in house are connected wirelessly to DIR-615
I want XBOX (and IPTV in future) to be connected by wire to SECOND ROUTER
I then want my SECOND ROUTER to be connected wirelessly to DIR-615 as client

What router should I choose for my SECOND ROUTER? I don't wan't it to be a repeater but just a client to which I would connect everything by wire. I looked at DAP-1522. Will it be able to fulfill my needs or I should pick another router? A link to an article on how I should configure it would be nice too.

Want you want is a bridge device, which is what the DAP-1522 is.

thorvald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »

Depending on what speed you need. There seems to be a lot of problems getting the DAP-1522 to connect using n-mode, when it acts as bridge. Just read some of the other entries at this forum.

And all the functionality of having dual-band wireless capabilities
(the DAP-1522 is ideal for wireless HD video streaming and gaming applications because entertainment content can be sent over the less crowded 5GHz band) is not supported when you use it as bridge.

You want a bridge, so perhaps it is better to look at something like Linksys WGA600N

Regards
Thorvald

whartlin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »

DAP-1522 can act as a wireless router or a wireless client bridge.  I have my DAP-1522 bridged to my DIR-655 running N (2.4GHz) without issues.  You hear from both sides on the DIR-615 on connectivity issues with DAP-1522; some have problems but I bet most do not.

thorvald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

Can you post the firmware version and the settings for using the DAP-1522 as a Bridge ?
And I havent still heard of anyone succeeding in connecting a DIR-615 and a DAP-1522 in n-mode.

Regards
Thorvald

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »

Just connected my DIR-615 (Rev B / FW 2.26) with the DAP.
Works fine for about 1 hour now in 11N mode.

DAP Firmware 1.21rc28:
ftp://ftp.dlink.pl/dap/dap-1522/driver_software/DAP-1522_fw_revA_1-21rc28_all_en_20090810.zip

No special settings. DIR in mixed mode with WPA2-PSK / AES and SSID visible.
DAP: Disabled QoS settings.
Entered a static IP, MAC cloning = off

Normally it is connected to the DIR-655 and works great until the clients enter standby mode.
If all LAN client at the DAP are in standby or sleep mode, it is no longer reachable after a few minutes.

thorvald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:31:30 AM »

This is very interesting.

I noticed that the firmware you are using is from a polish ftp-server. Why isn't that available on the official ftp-servers.

I have installed the firmware, and seen a major change, but still there seems to be some problems
(Just for the records im using DIR-615 Rev D. FW 4.11)

I have 2 pc's. One plugged into DIR-615 and one plugged into DAP-1522, and have a test-setup, where i just ping the one on DAP-1522 from the one on DIR-615.

Using b/g mode
Ping is working all the time, 2-4 ms

Using n-mode
3-5 ping is working, then 1-5 timeout, then 3-5 ping working etc

After upgrading to FW 1.21 Rev 028, the n-mode changed, and ping was working fine for a long time, so I just did think all was fine, and started copying some large files. This resultet in some timeouts, but i did reconnect after only a few timeouts. That could be ok for streaming if the buffer is big enough, but Windows cant copy the files.

An improvement yes, but I'm still not happy. Could anyone setup the same scenario and copy some big 2-4GB files ?

One more thing I noticed was that when I looked at the status for wireless connection on the DIR-615 there was now 2 entries with two different MAC's - MAC clone was disabled, so where did the secon one come from ?

Regards
Thorvald

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »

Quote from: thorvald
MAC's - MAC clone was disabled, so where did the secon one come from ?
On MAC should be the bridge and one MAC should be the LAN MAC of the machine connected to the DAP.
Try to compare the MAc with ipconfig /all on the client pc.

yes the firmware is from the polish ftp but you can also download it from D-Link techsupport Taiwan

http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/

you can also find same language packs there: german, spanish, french and italy
And the release notes

thorvald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »

The pc is only connected thru a wire, so it should not show up in the wireless connections - and I have no clue where the second is comming from. The connect mode is n-mode, but I added security to make sure that it wasnt anything outside my net, bat stille the same.

Ill have a look at the ftp-server in taiwan, perhaps there are some more FW-versions I can try :-)

Regards
Thorvald

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »

The pc is only connected thru a wire, so it should not show up in the wireless connections

Yes but it is connected to the DAP and the DAP is connected to the DIR wireless, I think without MAC cloning it passes through the real MAC of your pc.
Try and look for the LAN MAC of that pc and compare.

thorvald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »

Nope, it was not the pc on the other side, but I found a place to check the owner of an MAC-address
http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/ouisearch?00-22-43
and it was my TV-card from Twinhan/Azurewave.
Very strange, how can it connect, even when i am hiding SSID and using strong encryption ?

Regards
Thorvald