• April 18, 2024, 01:46:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Online backup for DNS-323 - now released  (Read 20452 times)

Rani

• Level 1 Member
Online backup for DNS-323 - now released
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »

Hi everyone,

With the release of firmware v1.09, the online backup service powered by CTERA is also officially out.

The mini-site http://dlink.ctera.com has all the information you'll need, including a video walk-through, features and pricing. You can also register for the service, and the 30-day free trial is still in effect for those who join.

The online backup option is only available in North America.

I'll be happy to use this forum to answer any questions you may have.

Rani Osnat
CTERA Networks

Legolia

• Level 1 Member
Re: Online backup for DNS-323 - now released
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »

I am not much of a forum poster, but I believe you are significantly pricing yourself out of the market with these prices.

$99 for 50GB
$199 for 100GB

At least you are pricing me out.  These prices and sizes are for a small business, but not a home user.  I personally use my DNS-323 for backing up all of my family files, pictures, videos etc.  I have been waiting this entire time hoping this would be a good solution for me, but alas it`s totally useless for my needs.  My files far surpass these sizes and the price is horible for this day and age  :-\

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »

I am not much of a forum poster, but I believe you are significantly pricing yourself out of the market with these prices.

$99 for 50GB
$199 for 100GB

At least you are pricing me out.  These prices and sizes are for a small business, but not a home user.  I personally use my DNS-323 for backing up all of my family files, pictures, videos etc.  I have been waiting this entire time hoping this would be a good solution for me, but alas it`s totally useless for my needs.  My files far surpass these sizes and the price is horible for this day and age  :-\

I think you should reread the prices as the ones you have mentioned are the introductory prices not the ongoing prices.

* Introductory Offer: $199 $99/year for 50GB
    * Introductory Offer: $399 $199/year for 100GB

I don't see how any home user can afford these prices, lets put it another way, for $399 I can buy 7 500GB hard drives or maybe 3-4 1TB hard drives that I can use to backup my data as a one off cost.

These prices are outrages!!!

Legolia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »

I think you should reread the prices as the ones you have mentioned are the introductory prices not the ongoing prices.

* Introductory Offer: $199 $99/year for 50GB
    * Introductory Offer: $399 $199/year for 100GB

I don't see how any home user can afford these prices, lets put it another way, for $399 I can buy 7 500GB hard drives or maybe 3-4 1TB hard drives that I can use to backup my data as a one off cost.

These prices are outrages!!!

Well, I did not see that, the problem is far worse than I had even thought myself.  Did anyone conduct a census as to what the consumer would pay for this service?  Did Ctera completely scam Dlink into this proposition?  It seems ridiculous.

What a waste of time and honestly... after all these months this is what they came up with? 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »

I like the "introductory offer", which indicates after you have your data there for a year, they'll double the prices! 

Thanks, but no thanks!  There are much better deals in on-line storage available.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »

I think dlink should be developing an application that allows the backup to be configured for any online storage since this solution is only available for US it leaves the rest of us hanging, that way dlink's customers can fine a more suitable online storage solution for home user and it wouldn't matter where one lives.

Instead dlink release a new firmware (or should I say old firmware) that I cannot see more than a few percentage of dlink's customer using, restricted one by where they live and two by the price, if dlink get more than a handful of customers actually purchasing this online storage I will be very surprised.

Scottk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »

Yeah.

I was shocked to see the prices as well.

There are times when you just kind of wonder what the heck some companies are thinking, when they release something, or they sell something that is just way out of line to what the market will bear.

Your typical DNS-323 user is a home user.
No way in the world will a home user pay those kind of prices for that little off-site storage.
It just isn't realistic.

As I like to say at work...
"Good Luck with that!"

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:33 AM »

Actually, I'm hoping the luck isn't all that good with that overpriced product!  Maybe they're rethink introducing such useless stuff for more practical improvements. :)

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:59:28 AM »

LIKE ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO ATTACH USB STORAGE DIRECTLY TO THE DNS AND BACKUP TO IT/TRANSFER FILES!

What a concept!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »

LIKE ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO ATTACH USB STORAGE DIRECTLY TO THE DNS AND BACKUP TO IT/TRANSFER FILES!

What a concept!

This gets my vote also.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »

I think there is some misunderstanding of the pricing and CTERA has been notified. It should be resolved soon. For those questioning the introductory price and space, also remember that there is no limit to the amount of DNS-323's that can connect to this account at once and there is no limit to the amount of PC's in your home backing up unlike other service offerings.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »

Well, there may be no limit to the number of NAS units, but with more than one NAS, what's the chances that only that small amount of data would be important to you?  Part of the issue is the price per gigabyte.  Unless the pricing presented is simply wrong, I have no misunderstanding, I can read numbers and do simple math. :)

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »

Well, there may be no limit to the number of NAS units, but with more than one NAS, what's the chances that only that small amount of data would be important to you?  Part of the issue is the price per gigabyte.  Unless the pricing presented is simply wrong, I have no misunderstanding, I can read numbers and do simple math. :)

Simply stated, this service is not going to be for everyone. Users who already have a system in place with another service and are already copying files around to another pc for one of those 'unlimited' backup services may not be enticed by this service. Those services do offer the unlimited title but also have some fairly large restrictions to their service on what can actually be uploaded.

Other services also require a PC to be on in order to backup data to the cloud where the DNS-323, a low power consumption device, requires no intervention and no PC in order to store files to the cloud. The $99 price is correct however there is a misunderstanding I believe on the renewal which is what I was referring to. This is a difficult feature add to make everyone happy because everyone is so enticed by the advertising of these unlimited services and don't understand the actual drawbacks. Show me an unlimited service out there that lets you upload from unlimited amount of pc's without buying additional accounts per pc. Show me an unlimited service that allows you to upload a file that is larger than 2GB in size...

50GB may not be a lot of space these days especially in comparison to the terabytes of space you can purchase to put inside of your household in a NAS for cheap however not everyone has the want or need to purchase and manage multiple NAS units for safe-keeping their data. If you are simply using a cloud to backup images of your home PC's then this of course is not the correct solution for you.

Anyways I think I have rambled enough, back to work :0.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

I compare it to Amazon S3, which is supported on many NAS boxes.

JocastaWindu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »

Crossing the line of fire here...

Amazon excludes quite a big part of the world I guess and calculating the cost was a bit hard, I must say.

Looking at the options from my horizon, central Europe, I can see that the ctera option is a bit high actually. I've looked at four options within my country and one is actually similar and the rest is about half the ctera price for unlimited space.

I guess it's in the nature of Ctera's business idea, not targeting individuals but rather companies and the D-Link - Ctera agreement seems to be a b2b contract. And also since we (dns users) are limited to this service, we can't choose another one I guess, the pricing is set from that point of view.

Connecting an external hard drive to the dns and have the back up that way is not an option for me. i want to secure my documents and photos from fire and theft, that's why i go for the cloud.

Another option is to set up another dns at a friends' or my parents' house and do the transfers that way.

Anyway, I've paid for the first year now and i'll see what happens. Half the price for the 50Gb would of course be better and maybe more reasonable...
Pages: [1] 2