• March 28, 2024, 02:52:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fail to connect to DNS-323  (Read 13702 times)

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
Fail to connect to DNS-323
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

Hi All,
I've been searching here for a solution to my problem but I am unable to find a solution.
I am unable to connect to the DNS using the windows "map a drive" option and doesn't work with the easysearch program.
I'm using Windows Vista SP2 32 bit and my DNS is on firmware 1.06.  I'm connected wirelessly and my router is a Dlink DIR-655.
It seems as if its slowly gotten to this point as it first started as occasional connection issues when transfering files and then it wouldn't reconnect after a reboot and now won't connect at all. 
Actually, after I do a the "map drive" it shows up under My Computer but when I double click to open it, I get this message, "the specified network name is no longer available".

I am able to connect to the configuration page through the IE browser and able to check the status.  Everything seems fine.  The only way I am able to connect to DNS to transfer files is by using WinSCP FTP program and I'm using a user ID I created so I know that's good to connect.  No change when I connect wired to the router.  My PS3 is able to connect and access video/music share because I enabled UPNP. 

Any help is really appreciated. 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Fail to connect to DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »

Start by disabling ALL firewalls on the computer in question.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

Forgot to mention that, but yeah, I tried that.  First by adding exceptions and then totally disabling the firewall and AV.

Same results.  Mapping would show up but when I tried to connect, I would get the error and could not access the drive.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

Can you access it from other computers connected to the same router?

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »

On my other laptop with XP sp3, it does the same thing.  After I map the drive, it shows up under My Computer but when I try to connect it gives me an error message and does not connect.

Also on the other laptop, I can connect to the web page for configuration and also connect to the DNS with the FTP program WinSCP.

I wonder if the problem is my router, Dlink DIR-655 with firmware 1.21?

thanks

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »

The firmware on the router should have nothing to do with local networking.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »

That is odd.  Not familiar with Vista since I use XP, but sometimes my whole workgroup becomes unaccessible for no apparent reason.  Can you navigate to the NAS after a reboot of both the PC and the NAS?

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »

That is odd.  Not familiar with Vista since I use XP, but sometimes my whole workgroup becomes unaccessible for no apparent reason.  Can you navigate to the NAS after a reboot of both the PC and the NAS?

Wiggs

At this point, no, I can't connect using the map network drive or easysearch at all.  However, my PS3 connects without a problem and I can connect to it using the FTP program from both my Vista and XP machines.
Thanks for the reply

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:40:46 AM »

This sounds like a master browser issue....
1st make sure that all computers and devices .. including the PS3 and the DNS-323 are in the same WorkGroup

Then Turn off all of the devices... including the router
Then start turning them back on, 1 at a time...
Start by you computer.. then the router... then the DNS...
And see if you can access the DNS correctly... is so... continue starting up your other devices / PC
one by one and checking in between if you can still access the DNS

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »

This sounds like a master browser issue....
1st make sure that all computers and devices .. including the PS3 and the DNS-323 are in the same WorkGroup

Then Turn off all of the devices... including the router
Then start turning them back on, 1 at a time...
Start by you computer.. then the router... then the DNS...
And see if you can access the DNS correctly... is so... continue starting up your other devices / PC
one by one and checking in between if you can still access the DNS

Wow, this seemed to work on both computers.  I'm able to connect to the DNS by following the startup process, first turning on my computer, then the router, then the DNS.  At least for now, I'm able to connect, browse and copy files over.  I've restarted my DNS and restarted my router several times thinking it was in issues in one of these devices but probably not in this order.  Probably a router problem? 
Anyway, thanks a bunch, I was very frustrated with this to the point I'm thinking about this while in bed on a Saturday morning when I should be sleeping in!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:01 AM »

To "reset" the network, try turning off all the computers and the router.

Turn on the router, wait for it to initialize.

Start each computer, one at a time.

An alternative to depending on computer browsing is to configure your machines with static IP addresses and make a HOSTS file with the IP -> computer_name mapping for each computer and other device.

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »

Glad it worked.

IF you want, you can run the following command at a dos prompt

nbtstat -A IPAddress

the -A needs to be upper case to use with the IPaddress

Run it for every IP you have on your network... It should return the computer name and Workgroup name
and only 1 device should also return "MSBROWSE"

If you have more than 1 device returning "MSBROWSE" then you will have issues browsing...

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

Looks like I spoke to quickly.  Seems as soon as the disks stopped spinning (went into hibernation), all PCs lost connections and do not connect.  PS3 still connects.
Everything is back like it was except that eventually I started getting 2 pink lights.  Is it possible my drives are going bad?  I restarted it and now its back to normal blue lights, I'm still able to connect through FTP though.

I tried the nbtstat command and it only worked on my local PC and the DNS.  The local PC returned the MSBROWSE keyword.  I did not get a response from the router or my iPhone or PS3.  Actually it says "Host not found" and I'm not really sure how to interpret the information from that command.  Man, this is really frustrating trying to consitantly connect to the DNS.

I've turned off the firewall, turned on Network discovery, turned on file sharing and don't know what else could be blocking it.  I love my router but I'm wondering if that is the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »

I'm starting to think there is some sort of hardware issue.  I've never seen any of these symptoms.

manuelohere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »

I'm starting to think there is some sort of hardware issue.  I've never seen any of these symptoms.

Hardware issue on the DNS or router or PC?
I've thought of that.  Maybe I need to reflash the firmware or something like that?
Pages: [1] 2