• April 18, 2024, 03:09:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help with setting up streaming video away from home  (Read 6540 times)

alan3311

• Level 1 Member
Help with setting up streaming video away from home
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »

Hello.

I don't know how to set up my 320L to be able to access my files from another computer away from home. Basically I'd like to be able to stream videos (.mkv files) from my NAS at home to my laptop while I'm away from my home network. What do I need to do? Sorry if this is a basic question but this is my first NAS.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Help with setting up streaming video away from home
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:02:53 AM »

Have you looking into using mydlink.com?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

alan3311

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »

Yes I can access MyDlink which lets me access my files but I don't know exactly how to stream the video from there. Sorry if I'm dumb at this... I know these are mostly basic functions I'm not understanding.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »

There are mobile apps as well to check into, shareport and mydlink cloud and mydlink Access NAS
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 02:48:24 PM »

Yes I can access MyDlink which lets me access my files but I don't know exactly how to stream the video from there. Sorry if I'm dumb at this... I know these are mostly basic functions I'm not understanding.

I've been looking at this for several months.

Plex - it works for specific media but not mkv - basically install Plex Media Server - sign up - then on laptop sign into Plex account and you should access the media (but as stated you'll not be able to play (stream) some but I think you can download and play in other media players.

MyDlink apps - sign in and download - again not streaming

XBMC (now Kodi) - Would be nice to find anyone who has a D Link and has finally got HTPC Manager working and explain how?   http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61262.0

BUT I'm trialling Kodi on a tablet and have recently been pointed (although not yet tested) Emby/Kodi - links below) whereby you install this onto a tabet/mobile (as a server) and connect via IP/login

http://emby.media/about/  < about Emby

http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/  <  about Emby for Kodi
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:50:01 PM by philphil61 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

Thank you for the good information, will keep this in mind and hope it will help future users...

alan3311

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »

Plex - it works for specific media but not mkv - basically install Plex Media Server - sign up - then on laptop sign into Plex account and you should access the media (but as stated you'll not be able to play (stream) some but I think you can download and play in other media players.

XBMC (now Kodi) - Would be nice to find anyone who has a D Link and has finally got HTPC Manager working and explain how?   http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61262.0

BUT I'm trialling Kodi on a tablet and have recently been pointed (although not yet tested) Emby/Kodi - links below) whereby you install this onto a tabet/mobile (as a server) and connect via IP/login

Thanks for this info.

Is Emby basically the same type of thing as Plex? My TV has a Plex app but like you said it doesn't work with all .mkv files. It won't even recognize some and some don't have sound or use the correct audio stream.

How about when using a DDNS? I registered a hostname on dlinkddns.com and I think I set it up in ShareCentre correctly.... but when I type my hostname into a browser it doesn't work. Am I not using this correctly? Would the hostname I created be the ip I'd use with Emby or Kodi?

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »

Thanks for this info.

Is Emby basically the same type of thing as Plex? My TV has a Plex app but like you said it doesn't work with all .mkv files. It won't even recognize some and some don't have sound or use the correct audio stream.

How about when using a DDNS? I registered a hostname on dlinkddns.com and I think I set it up in ShareCentre correctly.... but when I type my hostname into a browser it doesn't work. Am I not using this correctly? Would the hostname I created be the ip I'd use with Emby or Kodi?
I haven't tried Emby yet but I did try to login to someone's emby/kodi setup and after having issues (I think their userid/password was incorrectly given) I allowed them access via Teamviewer and they logged in on another id and I could access and play their media

As I said I've only just come across this by giving soomeone a helping hand so I've not yet tested it myself.

My own issues regarding this are an Acer Iconia B1 tablet I wanted to use as the server has known issues with storage space.
I didn't want to use my pc (leave it on 24/7 - whether another device (the server) needs to be left on IDK)
My Andrid mobile is PAYG so again have issues with "always online"

I have tried to install/register emby but that's as far as I got.

If you know and understand Kodi I'm sure it's the way to go - far better than Plex but if we could get HTPC Manager addon (which I assume allows access to Kodi somehow) we wouldn't need to look elsewhere

I'm here to help anyone with my limited knowledge - just pm me as I don't come here 24/7

Update
Warning - not sure what the hell has gone wrong....desperately trying to figure it out...  but after installing Emby on my PC and login and adding my 320L as server (yes the Movie index/database looked amazing)  I cannot now login from my PC to my 320L via "mapped drive".  I can access via mydlink and by typing in the IP in web browser...  but it will not "connect" via mapped drive

If anyone has any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:10:54 PM by philphil61 »

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Turned out to be the Upnp got messed up...somehow

Powered off 320L and router, left it for 1min, rebooted router then 320L  Upnp now fixed but mapping still failed - tried removing mapped drive but nothing,  searched and searched but didn't find answers and was ready (preparing to re-install Win7 (copied all my stored docs onto 128gb USB stick)) then rebooted PC and mapped drive has disappeared....wtf!!!

Tried remapping using Win7 but failed many times then dug out the installation disks for 320L and Bob's your uncle... fixed

Miracles do happen ;)

alan3311

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Turned out to be the Upnp got messed up...somehow

Powered off 320L and router, left it for 1min, rebooted router then 320L  Upnp now fixed but mapping still failed - tried removing mapped drive but nothing,  searched and searched but didn't find answers and was ready (preparing to re-install Win7 (copied all my stored docs onto 128gb USB stick)) then rebooted PC and mapped drive has disappeared....wtf!!!

Tried remapping using Win7 but failed many times then dug out the installation disks for 320L and Bob's your uncle... fixed

Miracles do happen ;)

Actually this happened to me too... I fixed it by creating a new user with admin privileges on my 320L and using those credentials to map the drives.

I'm gonna fiddle around with Kodi and HTPC Manager and report back in a bit. Plex just isn't cutting it for me.