• April 25, 2024, 02:04:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.8" for D-Link NAS  (Read 22503 times)

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
Re: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.8" for D-Link NAS
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

None yet because I'm finding it difficult to share my media with family/friends (not LAN)

The only current way to access outside of LAN is by giving mydlink email/password or using QuiXplorer with server login

My current LAN setup is
media stored on NAS 320L
Kodi installed on tablet accessing the media folders to build database
And I use the tablet to stream to Sony BDE3100 Home Cinema (networked) as both the Sony and the 320L have issues with transcoding/media playback type restrictions

Emby uses Kodi but has it's own database but the benefit of Emby over just Kodi is that others not on LAN can play the media from Emby database.

The only concern I have is will the 320L cope with 2 or 3 users streaming at the same time?

masterxilef

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »

Ok, so the thing is, for your case scenario, you definitely need to use (try) emby, because the official mysql support is just for local lan, more so, it enables you to use the same database across various devices, however, that works only for one user, if its more than one user (still local lan only), theres some workarrounds to using a modified mysql db to make it simple for multiple users, multiple devices, which is what I am/was using, however, it hasn't been updated to kodi 15.

The solution, emby, basically let's you do what mysql does with some advantages, similar to what plex offers, like internet streaming. The only caveat is that in my case, it means a computer running 24/7 besides my nas. In my case is going to be a small netbook which I had laying arround that appears to work fine for emby and a few other stuff. Do keep in mind that altough emby is able to run just fine on low powered computers, if you need transcoding capabilities (recommended when online streaming), you need a beefier pc.

So I think you should give emby a chance, is very easy to setup, even more on windows. If you decide to try it and need any help, send me a pm so not to go off topic anymore here.

The only concern I have is will the 320L cope with 2 or 3 users streaming at the same time?
A: Well, that depends on a couple of things, the most important are bitrate of your videos, speed of your local lan (gigabit or just 100mb), and your internet up speed.

For local lan, if you are running gigabit ethernet, I think 3 or even 4 users should be more than fine on compressed video (ie not ful bluray rip). The internet side of things I couldn't tell you because I don't do that, plus my internet up speed sucks.

amorak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »

Can anyone help? I have a DNS-320L but no matter what I try and play I get the error "this server is not powerful enough to convert video" - Yet the videos when I play them (same files) off my PC-based Plex server show that they are streamed direct - ie no video transcoding - with only audio transcoding?! Can anyone assist? I want to serve off plex without video transcoding (as obviously this NAS isn't powerful enough to do so) - but allow it to transcode audio...

Just confused why my PC plex server can serve the video direct yet the DNS-320L plex server seems to think it needs to transcode the video?!

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

Can anyone help? I have a DNS-320L but no matter what I try and play I get the error "this server is not powerful enough to convert video" - Yet the videos when I play them (same files) off my PC-based Plex server show that they are streamed direct - ie no video transcoding - with only audio transcoding?! Can anyone assist? I want to serve off plex without video transcoding (as obviously this NAS isn't powerful enough to do so) - but allow it to transcode audio...
Just confused why my PC plex server can serve the video direct yet the DNS-320L plex server seems to think it needs to transcode the video?!

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=62873.msg255794#msg255794
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=62873.msg256352#msg256352

For D-Link NAS developers do not create Plexmediaserver. I created Addons for D-Link NAS from the NAS builds for other vendors. Due to software limitations this was difficult to do. Today can make PMS v0.9.12.13 only for DNS-327L/340L.

P.S. By the way! Your questions and suggestions are interesting to me and I try to satisfy all. But I have less desire to spend their free time when "donate" the majority of users is ignored. I need it to work on new Addons, and not for personal enrichment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:38:27 AM by vtverdohleb »
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version
* Detailed Description of your Issue
Donate: http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/donate.php

amorak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »

Thanks so much! Would a donation help get it updated for the DNS-320L, or is there a technical limitation?  The latest version up fr the DNS-320L won't work on iOS (there is a bug), but the previous versions are all too old for the iOS app - so I am stuck until an updated version of the pelx media server for the DNS-320L is prepared! Happy to pay.
Pages: 1 2 [3]