• March 28, 2024, 04:24:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unable to delete 3 folders  (Read 20367 times)

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
Unable to delete 3 folders
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

So I have a user with Read/write access both on the network share and the FTP server.

I have an iMac, and I have my NAS configured with 4 1.5 TB WD Green HDD's in Raid 5.  I was backing up files from my iMac on it, when I kept getting a few different issues.  For staters, I get this unable to copy file, file in use error, and the network transfer stops.  So I tried deleting the files with the intent of re-copying them, and I am unable to delete them.  When I boot up into vista, I see they are marked as read only, and when I uncheck the read only box and hit apply, I am still unable to delete the file.  Its as if the box has re-checked it as read only.  I do not presently have any read only accounts on the box, and I can delete other files and folders, just not these 3.  I would like to revert back to 1.2 firmware, but 1.5 TB HDD's don't work properly in 1.2.  When I try logging in as FTP, I cannot delete the folders either.  Reformating isn't an option because I have about 1 TB of data currently on there with no way of recoving that data. 

A few things worth pointing out:

1. I already have read and write access for the files I am trying to backup from my iMac, in OSX
2. I only have 1 user and I am currently logged in as that 1 user and it has read and write access to the whole volume.

Any help would be appreciated!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Unable to delete 3 folders
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

Reset the unit to factory defaults and try to delete the folders again
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »

i have also found if I copied a file to the NAS and cancelled the transfer before it completes I can't delete the file on the NAS.   The workaround is to start a different transfer from the PC to the NAS which will unlock the handle of the previous file(s)  When that happens you can delete the incomplete files.

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »

I have reset the unit to factory defaults and I created a user called administrator.  I still cannot delete the folders, infact, when I try the other suggestion, I get an error that reads that the file is in use.  Infact, now I can't even open the folders, it says I don't have any access to view the folders.  I double click and it just says I have insufficient access.

So I took it one step further, I created Read Write shares to those undeletable folders, and I can't even connect to those shares.  I'd like to revert back to 1.02, but I am afraid that I will lose my data, as the unit wouldn't support my 1.5 TB drives.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »

Did you try deleting the file before creating the new user?

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »

yes, I tried that.

Its doing something new now, when I create a new folder on the drive, it automatically creates it as read only.  And now I can't delete, or add files to that folder.

The other folders I can't even view anymore seem to have adopted some special permissions...

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:39:12 AM »

so, I am sorry to double post, but here's where I think I am at.

I am using an OS/X PC, and vista, and getting nowhere with getting the problem resolved.

But I know what the problem is.  Somehow, the unit marked the folder as read only (this might be something worth investigating, because all I did was right click, and create a new folder, and for some reason on the drive it defaulted to read only).  And even when I go into the drive using a read write share, regardless if I use OSX, or Vista, I can't change the permissions, both tell me I don't have access to do so (which is REALLY odd considering I have no other users other than 1 account, and I have no other shares created except for the 1 share of the root in read write access).  So when I go into the folder, I look and the files in vista aren't marked read only, only the folder is, and I can't delete anything.  It's almost like Dlink needs to come up with a way to modify the read write settings of the folder, or files, in its managing utility, or through some kind of command line, or add some NTFS partition formats.

The thing is, I am searching high and low on the internet to find someone having the same problems as I am having, and I come up with nothing.  So I guess I am gonna go without a fix, and I just wasted like 400 bucks.  Getting phone support from Dlink was more or less useless because I phoned 3 times, the first time I was told to call a number that's not connected, the second agent told me to call a number that I can't call from my area code, and the third agent told me to create a new share user with read write access, emensely helpful...  ???

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:05 AM »

I would just like to second bigg_3522's plea for help.

Similar here - using one DNS-343 as main storage and another for backup of that main storage (using the built-in Remote Backup function).

The backup machine creates folders during backup but about half of them are created in a way that locks me out of them.  I don't have permission to access them.  And similarly, I do not have multiple accounts.  Working off MacOS.

Note that I have experienced many interruptions during backups due to the "lock-up and fans go crazy" issue but that's another thread!

Thanks

softwizard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 06:06:02 AM »

Possibly related, but not exactly.  It seems that there might be a problem with the 1.03b75 load and folder permissions.   Once I create a user, certain folders (not all, but some) become locked for me.   It is only after factory defaults that I can access (and delete) everything.

Is it possible for a folder to be accessible by two users?  For example, I would like one user to have read only access to the entire drive (Volume_1) and the other user to be R/W for the same folders.

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »

In theory yes, through separate shares.  So only 1 user has access to the read write share, and one user had access to the read only share.  but one share would be called Volume_1 and the other Volume_1_1 or something along those lines.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »

Are files created from the Mac the only files being locked on your system?

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »

on mine no.  I was thinking like you originally, that the mac was causing the problem, so I created a folder from vista, and the same thing occured

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »

on mine no.  I was thinking like you originally, that the mac was causing the problem, so I created a folder from vista, and the same thing occured

You just created a folder in explorer and the folder was locked? Did you add files to the folder? Did you just copy and paste random files to the folder or use an application to save the files into the folder?

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »

Yes, all I did was create a folder in explorer, and it made it read only.  I tried copying files to the folder, it says read only.  I tried changing the attributes in explorer, it changes them, I hit apply, then ok, and recopy, it still says read only, I look at the attributes again, and its read only.

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »

no resolution on this still.  Hoping DLink includes a way to change the file attributes or restore read write file and folder permissions for the whole drive through the web utility.
Pages: [1] 2 3