• March 29, 2024, 04:54:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Looses config when powered off/reset  (Read 7226 times)

birch

• Level 1 Member
Looses config when powered off/reset
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:53 AM »

I had my dns for a couple days and was in the process of transferring my data from other hard drives to it.  I have 4 2tb drives in a raid 5.  Static ip.  During the night I lost power and when I turned the dns back on in the morning it lost all the configs (other than the raid) and had defaulted to the 192.168.0.32 ip.  All the user/groups and permissions were gone.  I tried loading the config backup I had saved and it seemed to load fine, then restarted and was back to default.  Any ideas?

birch

• Level 1 Member
Re: Looses config when powered off/reset
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:03:44 AM »

Forgot to add, it also is running extremely slow (sometimes a minute or more to open a link in the gui and transfer speeds around 1MBps) and also seems to be running hotter than it was before.  I am currently connected direct to my laptop using gig eth. port. 

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »

Can you go into the gui and create a new user and then reboot the unit from the GUI. Does it retain this user?

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

go to the status page, see if it is resyncing... it most likely is, that is what is causing the slowdown...

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »

Mine has started doing the same thing also after having to power it off after a lockup and now it happens when it's either restarted gracefully or had the plug pulled due to the "High Fan + Lockup" issue.

It will reset the IP to DHCP every time and will sometimes reset the device name and settings of services I have running though it "usually" remembers the admin password.

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:35:37 AM »

I've done a factory reset, configured the unit with a static IP, Jumbo frames to 9000, correct times zone, set up an Admin password, and created a new user.

After logging out and back in to make certain the settings had been saved, the unit was reset and once it was online again I was able to login using the password I'd chosen. The user I created was still there but the other settings had been reset to default again..

denisbaldwin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »

I've noticed that mine does the same thing. It will keep some settings when I restart/reset (like the IP address), but loses other things (like the ADS Package, while keeping the ADS settings.. and loses the RAID volume itself).

I'm seriously considering shelfing this thing and buying another Thecus unit like the one I use in another department.

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »

Clutching at straws now, I tried reapplying the v1.03 firmware and after cycling the power I restored to factory defaults. After logging in I reconfigured the unit again and reset it from the browser console. Once again the only thing retained was the admin password and the user I created. Everything from the "Setup" tab and any services I'd enabled were reset to default... *sigh*

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:58 AM »

Clutching at straws now, I tried reapplying the v1.03 firmware and after cycling the power I restored to factory defaults. After logging in I reconfigured the unit again and reset it from the browser console. Once again the only thing retained was the admin password and the user I created. Everything from the "Setup" tab and any services I'd enabled were reset to default... *sigh*

Have you tried from a different computer on the network? I would think it would be an all or none case if it was defective not a pick and chose what is saved.

Also what method did you do a factory reset? The GUI or the Pin hole on the back?

Have you tried configuring it without the drives in it?

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »

It behaves the same way from two machines on the network that are both connected wirelessly via a DIR-685 and it seems to be fairly consistent in what it now chooses to "forget" though when it first began happening  (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7955.msg63733#msg63733) after having to pull the power, it would sometimes reset everything.

The factory reset was done from the GUI, I'll test using the pinhole method tonight and see if that changes anything.

As for removing all the drives and testing it, should it recognise my volume after I replace the disks?

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:55:04 AM »

Finally got around to testing the pinhole reset method on the same night I updated to the 1.04 beta firmware and I don't know what action did the trick but after a couple of resets and shutdowns it now retains all it's settings.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Pigsy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:56 AM »

I seem to have the same issue of not retaining settings when performing a reboot.

I am using firmware 1.03 with RAID 5

UPnP is enabled (this setting is kept if I reboot) and I try to specify a folder instead of root.  I save the settings and can hear the units hardrives work.  If I logout and go to another machine and pull up the setting I can see that they have taken.  When I reboot using the GUI system-> system restart I can se that it now defaults back to the root folder.

I am making all these changes using admin, so I tried adding a user as suggested above and can see that user still exists after rebooting.

Any one seen this before or experiencing something similar?  Would 1.04 help?  I have no locking issue on this device due to the fan code.

I don't want to restore to back to factory settings as I have data in the raid config that I don't want to lose.

Locster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »

Hitting the reset button on the back will not destroy any data, at least it didn't hurt any of mine. It just resets all the options back to default.

I should have tried the reset after each step to see what part of the process sorted out the problem but instead I only reset after having completed both steps.

If you don't have the lock up issue you ought to just try the reset pinhole on the back as a first test.