• March 28, 2024, 05:26:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320L - Firmware  (Read 8090 times)

Dester31

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320L - Firmware
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »

I have installed firmware 1.02 beta 3 days ago. It completely solved my perpetual P2P freezing problems. Thumbs up!

From where have you downloaded it? It's not available from the official site: http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/share/sharecenter/dns-320l-sharecenter-2-bay-cloud-storage-enclosure

htlecso

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320L - Firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »

From where have you downloaded it? It's not available from the official site: http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/share/sharecenter/dns-320l-sharecenter-2-bay-cloud-storage-enclosure

It's not available on the official site because it is a beta firmware. Aníway, it's on an official FTP. Click here: ftp://ftp.dlink.hu/dns/dns-320L/driver_software/

Since I updated my 320L, P2P works just fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:08:32 PM by htlecso »

Bastos

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320L - Firmware
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:27 AM »

H/W version A1 or A2 ?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-320L - Firmware
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »

As I've said elsewhere, beta firmware version 1.02 was not released in the United States due to technical issues. A new stable version is undergoing testing and will be released soon.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

sbrbot

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

Dear JavaLawyer you should stop emphasizing this phrases "United States firmware", "United States hardware", "not released in United States", "version for United States", etc. There's no special release of 320L for United States or any particular country. Simply, D-Link NAS DNS-320L is DNS-320L in any country. Anything that applies to 320L applies to it in any country. Firmware 1.02b1 is beta as firmware 1.01b3 is beta and both do have some (technical) issues (don't think that final versions do not have some issues). Also if something is published on United States D-link site, it does not mean that it is more official than when it is released on Hungarian or any other country's D-link site.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:15:04 PM by sbrbot »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:32 AM »

Dear JavaLawyer you should stop emphasizing this "United States firmware", "United States hardware", "not released in United States", "version for United States", etc. There's no special release of 320L for United States or any particular country. Simply, D-Link DNS-320L is DNS-320L in any country. Anything that applies to 320L applies to it in any country. Firmware 1.02b1 is beta as 1.01b3 is beta and both do have some (technical) issues (don' think that final versions do not have some issues). Also if something is published on United Sites D-link site is not more official than when it is released on Hungarian or any other country's D-link site.

While I wholly agree with you that any D-Link publicly published firmware is "official" (I've never denied that), published firmware for Country "A" may not behave as you might expect in Country "B".

There are cases of regional hardware differences (and of course hardware versions -- "A1" and "A2") for D-Link products, including other ShareCenter models, that may not behave properly without matching firmware. Additionally, there are instances where region-specific firmware was released for particular localities, which may exhibit aberrant behavior if used outside of its intended region.

An overt example of this issue is the D-Link DCS-932L camera.  All DCS-932L cameras are labeled as either hardware version "A1" or "A2", yet the hardware purchased in region "A" will not function with mydlink accounts opened in region "B" or region "C" and visa versa.

This is not to say that all firmware for every region is always different 100% of the time.

DNS-320L - Firmware Do's and Dont's

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:42:55 AM by JavaLawyer »

sbrbot

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »

I agree that sometimes there could be differences among releases (almost always this is irrelevant for software). Software on your computer does not care whether capacitors and resistors and other technical parts are produced in Singapore or in Taiwan. The same way hard disks listed in 320L compatibility list are produced under different releases and in different countries. Do you intend to make list of all releases of the same HDD model (because some of them technically differ)?

In your statements you're claiming that there is United States release of 320L. Can you prove that or this is just your guessing that 320L released in US is different than other country releases? Also you're saying install 1.01b3 because it is released on US D-Link site and don't install 1.02b1 because it was released on HU site.

I really appreciate your effort on this forum and please don't get me wrong but if you said, guys don't install that firmware because there's this and this bug or there is that and that reason, I would understand that. But when you say guys don't install this because it was not published on US site, I don't understand this. It seems to me that you're frightening people to install newer releases of firmware without solid arguments. (according to many forum responses it seems that everything installed on A2 can be installed on A1 as well). I agree that people should be careful with changing firmwares but they should not be frightened.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Many D-Link products are manufactured in multiple hardware versions. These different versions of the same product are identifiable via the serial number label which indicate the hardware version: A1, A2, A3 ... Ai, B1 B2, B3 ... Bi, C1, C2, C3 ... Ci.  In some instances firmware is released for specific hardware versions, while in other instances, one firmware version is deemed compatible with all hardware versions. An extreme example of this dependency is the DIR-615 (see TSD site), which I raise because I own this particular router.

From what I've seen over the years, hardware changes have included improved/smaller power supplies, new components to eliminate latent defects, and other improvements. There are cases where substantive differences in competing hardware versions resulted in hardware specific firmware.

In some cases hardware version A1 is only sold in the US, while hardware version A2 is only sold in EU. In other instances, the same hardware version is available globally. If you visit the D-Link China site (TSD), you will find firmware versions for specific regions and firmware for specific hardware versions. Again, the number of firmware and hardware versions and compatibilities vary depending on the D-Link product.

Rather than dissect each product separately, and to protect the best interests of the average consumer, we've been casting the general statement to make sure the firmware version matches the hardware version (where applicable). The easiest way to communicate this message is to encourage product owners to download firmware from the region where they purchased their product.

In the case of the DNS-320L, firmware v1.02x does contain actual software defects, which for that reason alone should be enough to avoid installing this particular firmware version on any DNS-320L.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:44:16 PM by JavaLawyer »