• March 28, 2024, 02:28:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Will the DSC-942L do what I think it will?  (Read 5919 times)

Henry H.

• Level 1 Member
Will the DSC-942L do what I think it will?
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »

I've been researching for a while now to find a security and baby monitor camera solution.  I'm thinking 1 camera for the nursery and a couple of others for security.  Will the 942 and its software and app do the following?
1. Monitor live video and audio of baby (for more than 1 minute if desired).
2. Receive email alerts from motion detected within selected zones of cameras' views.
3. Record motion detected video onto Network Attached Storage (with no computer on), and have video files delete automatically after a set period of time to make room for new video.
4. View live video on iphone app while recording to NAS is still happening.
5. Day or night.
6. No monthly or annual fees.
If the 942 will do these things, will the 932 too as well?  Would the video files just be larger?  And I know the 942 has the micro sd but I'm not sure I'd need that.
It's been quite a challenge sorting through the features of the many cameras, apps, software, and services available.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: Will the DSC-942L do what I think it will?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »

1. Monitor live video and audio of baby (for more than 1 minute if desired). Yes
2. Receive email alerts from motion detected within selected zones of cameras' views. Yes, can be done via motion detection without PIR or using software (Dviewcam included and free download)
3. Record motion detected video onto Network Attached Storage (with no computer on), and have video files delete automatically after a set period of time to make room for new video. Possibly, the camera can record motion video to either SD card, FTP or Email. How you want it to delete would be outside the scope of the product since it will just send it to the target you select. It can't "tell" your email client or FTP server to auto delete after 2 weeks. If you want it to go to your NAS the only possibility would be
- Either via FTP only
- Via any other protocol if you have a computer and use Dviewcam running and set the target to your NAS

4. View live video on iphone app while recording to NAS is still happening. Yes
5. Day or night. Yes
6. No monthly or annual fees. No annual fees

jims123

• Level 1 Member
Re: Will the DSC-942L do what I think it will?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

I concur with all.. but out of the box.. NO, it needed a h/w reset and re-load before it would work properly and I never did succeed in sending Video clips via e-mail ..( after the reset) only  snapshots.. btu it does save them to SD memory just fine an that is fine with me...

My current issue now is the dviewcam software application does not "connect".. however if I login with a browser and the Dlink app.. it does..and it seems they both support similar functions.. so I quit messing with the camera while I was ahead.   :-* :-*  JimS