• March 28, 2024, 03:11:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using the 930L outside exposed to the elements  (Read 9947 times)

RDK45

• Level 2 Member
Using the 930L outside exposed to the elements
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:22 AM »

Folks....I'd like to have an outside view.  Have any of you tried setting up one of these cameras outside?  Not fully exposed, say under an eve or carport?

Are they sensitive to humidity and/or temperature?

Thanks for any ideas and/or comments.....RDK
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:59:16 AM by RDK45 »

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
Re: Using the 930L outside
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »

I have mine (DSL-932, actually) outside, but protected from direct exposure to rain and snow and sun.  Temperatures were into the twenties last night.  Unfortunately, mine is a relatively new webcam, so long-term consequences are TBD.  So far, however, there appears to be no problems.

cbjma

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using the 930L outside exposed to the elements
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »

I have just installed mine under the eves over the garage. I used a hot glue gun to make a circle 1/4 inch away from the lens and applied the clear plastic from some packaging to protect the recessed lens. I then covered the whole thin with a piece of a brown plastic garbage bag (with hole for lens) to a) protect it from the wind blown elements and make it less noticeable against the dark brick and eves.
At the end of our Canadian winter I will have a better idea how well it holds up.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:04:51 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

docbnj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »

I very much doubt that this is a good idea when T is < 0°C without a heated housing.  Make sure that the sensor does not aim at the sun at any time of day.  Provide cooling at temperatures > 40°C.

Someassembly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »

I have used a DCS-900 for many years outdoors, although it is an early camera and also wired it has performed excellently for many years.  It does however have some challenges with horizontal rain, as it only protected by being installed under the eve of the house.  Horizontal rain has caused it to stop working until it dries out, then it comes back on-line.  I live in central Alberta, Canada and even at
-35'C it has worked flawlessly. 

I have just purchased two new DCS-932L to install outdoors, my weekend project.  I also will be installing a DCS-942L at my front entrance. I plan to keep these under the eves to protect them to some degree. I doubt that I will have any problems.

Just my two cents.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »

I've had two of them installed above the garage door looking at the driveway. They are not in an enclosure but they are under the eve. They have been there for a year and have seen all four seasons. They even survived Sandy.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »

Here are two YouTube videos posted by D-Link demonstrating the DCS-930L under extreme environmental conditions. . . albeit, these videos are clearly intended for fun rather than actual use:

There were a few other movies posted as well, like testing a Boxee Box in an Oven until it failed and using a D-Link router encased in a block of Jello.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:16:02 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC