• March 28, 2024, 06:36:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-932L being powered by a battery  (Read 8106 times)

scv88

• Level 1 Member
DCS-932L being powered by a battery
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with powering the DCS-932L off a battery. I have it working perfectly how I want it to when it is plugged into the wall but it doesn't run long enough from a battery.

I have it in a circuit with some other things being powered by a 12 V 7.2 ah battery and I have a 5 V regulator in front of the webcam and it can draw the right amount of amperage but it only seems to run for like 5 minutes. This is a long shot I was just inquiring if any of you guys have had the DCS-932L working while being powered by a battery and if there is anything that I need to know.

Thanks

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
Re: DCS-932L being powered by a battery
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

The camera is rated at 2 watts of power with a voltage of 5 volts.  A 5 volt regulator running off a 12 volt battery will get very hot after a few minutes, and the regulator will shut down form overheating.  The 7.2 ah battery will not last very long either.  Perhaps a better solution would be a high current (5 amp.) 5 volt low head-room regulator running off a 6 volt golf cart battery.  You might also consider using that 6 volt battery with a 5 watt silicon diode in series with the positive lead of the battery, and thus eliminate the regulator.  Note also that the regulator needs to have a heat sink to keep it from overheating.

Regards,
Bob