• April 19, 2024, 02:02:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Issues with DNS343  (Read 4995 times)

krueger86

• Level 1 Member
Issues with DNS343
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »

I have setup my DNS-343 with the ext3 file system.  With 4 Seagate 1TB drives.  I have been trying to copy about 700 GB of data for days now.  I first tried using the download utility of the 343 and it did not copy all the data and stopped transferring.  I lost power at the house and then tried to do a incremental backup and it was not progressing.  So now I am trying to push the data using Allways Sync and that is taking forever.  I know that there are a lot of variables.   

But I am noticing some hiccups with the 343.  Like the front displays stating an IP of 192.168.0.32 when the easylink utility shows a IP of 192.168.0.106 and I can connect to the drive using the same IP.  Powered down and it then read correct IP. 

I wanted to test the RAID so I powered down and pulled a drive.  I had setup the 343 to email me when a drive failed.  Powered the unit back up and it did not send an email.  Reported that the RAID was degraded.  I then sent test email from the unit and it sent just fine.  I put the drive back in and it states that it is in the process of doing a 774 minute sync.  That is 12.88 hours.  A long time in my opinion.  But, I am new to these units and want to make sure that my data is safe.

Thanks,
Krueger86

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Issues with DNS343
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

Remove the drive while the unit is operational if you want to see an email. Shutting it down and starting it up after removing a drive will not trigger a drive failure alert.

krueger86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »

I will give that a try.  I did not have to do that on the DNS-323 set as RAID 1.  I powered it down and removed the drive then back up and it emailed me that the drive was bad.  So, if there is a power failure and on boot up the drive is not found in a RAID 5 setup it will just run in a degraded state without notifying anyone.  It should notice the drive is gone and email.  Just doesn't really make sense to me.

Thanks,
Krueger86

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:46:17 PM »

You're quite right, the DNS-323 will send an email on power up if it detects a drive missing from a RAID1 array - it did not always do this, I think this was introduced in the 1.04 firmware.

I also agree with you that the DNS-343 should do something similar - it is entirely possible for a drive to fail at startup and cause a degraded array, which would otherwise go unnoticed.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

Agreed; been hit by this twice now.  Had I not taken a moment to check the status, I would not have known that an HDD had failed.

A "health" check should occur at startup and notifications sent at that time.

kjb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »

I am not sure if this will apply to the 1TB drives.
I found a firmware upgrade for my 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS drives.
The problem of the system lockup (with the 1.02a firmware) and these drives is that they will drop out of the array periodically.  I found this on the seagate site:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931
hth
My System:
D-link DNS-343, 4 Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda drives w/fw 1.3b70

krueger86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

It is not a problem with the drives themselves but the enclosure not recognizing that one of the drives has been removed or DOA.  I selected the enclosure for the RAID 5 thinking that it would just be an upgrade from the DNS-323.  How else do you simulate a drive failure?  I could pull one under power but what happens if one dies on power failure and then the enclosure doesn't recognize that on power up?