• April 18, 2024, 07:44:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 dropping all network connectivity under wireless load  (Read 5484 times)

thallon

• Level 1 Member

Network setup: The network consists of a desktop and a laptop. The desktop connects to the 825 via GigE and the 825 is connected to a cable modem. Internet performance on the wired connection is solid & consistent at 15Mbps (as expected). The desktop has a 1 TB USB external HD plugged in and network shared. Internet connectivity for the laptop works great – Windows Updates, web surfing, etc. Transferring small files (5-10) MB works fine.

Problem: Attempting to transfer files larger than 50-100MB or groups of files that add up to that size or greater, between the laptop and desktop whether they originate on the external HD or either machine results in a complete loss of all networks for all machines. Internet connectivity is dead and none of the machines can see each other. Windows 7 network troubleshooter always shows the error as “The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken. The default gateway is not available”. The problem is then resolved by the troubleshooter and connectivity restored – until I try a large transfer again. Rinse, repeat.

Currently the desktop is running Windows 7 64 bit and the laptop Windows 7 32 bit. Prior to completely rebuilding both of these machines (from scratch, no upgrades), the desktop was running Windows XP and the laptop ran Windows Vista and suffered from this same networking issue. The 825 firmware is up-to-date.

I contacted Dlink support which suggested it could be wireless phone interference on the 2.4 band but the recommendations I received to hard-code the channels resulted in a complete loss of network connectivity all of the time, hence the modem is back at factory defaults. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: DIR-825 dropping all network connectivity under wireless load
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »

The 2.4Ghz radio usually default to channel 6.  Channel 6 is the default radio channel for most every make / model of "home" NAT routers.  This channel is the "most" populated channel because the 2.4Ghz "land-land" phones also use this channel.  You might want to try other channels.

thallon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »

Thanks, will try that. I believe tech support suggested channel #9 which didn't go well at all...

thallon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »

I tried changing the channel last night - the default was 11 so I moved it to 10 and there was no change in results. I did a hard-reset of the router and reconfigured all the Windows networking & homegroups and found that the default channel was now 9. Signal strength was more consistent and I got through one large transfer - slowly - but then these symptoms reappeared. Performance of the wireless is now at best 1 Mbps (54MB wireless NIC) even with the laptop having full bars & being only about 8 feet away from the router. I recently picked up an HD media center and bought a DLink wireless USB device to plug in so that the wireless network was consistent - it plays AVI's for less than one minute and then locks up and all networks are lost. Wish I did more extensive testing when it was under warranty as I'm finally pushing the limits to what the device is supposed to do and clearly it can't deliver. Thanks for the suggestion however.

lilleyen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:06:51 AM »

Could it be overheating on big jobs?
I've heard of this somewhere.
Try putting bigger feet under it to increase airflow, see if that helps.
Or a small fan blowing over it, not as a permanent fixture, just to see if it's an overheating problem.
If it's not, you can eliminate that issue.