• March 28, 2024, 10:25:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A few questions before purchasing DNS-323  (Read 4915 times)

cultivate

• Level 1 Member
A few questions before purchasing DNS-323
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

I've been looking at getting NAS for a bit now and I just had a couple of questions and things I'd like to confirm about the DNS-323.

Whats the different between the DNS-321 & DNS-323 (is it just the print server?)

Anyone had any problems getting this to work with windows and mac (just need to install bonjour?)

What types of speeds can be expected from the DNS-323 over a wireless connection both for read and write? DNS-321 have the same speed?

I've read that the DNS-323 doesn't support that many types of printers, I've looked but can't seem to find a printer list, anyone know where I can find out?

If I got DNS 323 I would likely only order one drive to start... just wondering if I'm able to an the second drive at any time with out having to reformat the first?

sorry for all the questions.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: A few questions before purchasing DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

I've been looking at getting NAS for a bit now and I just had a couple of questions and things I'd like to confirm about the DNS-323.

Whats the different between the DNS-321 & DNS-323 (is it just the print server?) USB Port, Hardware speed, Steel Casing vs Aluminum.

Anyone had any problems getting this to work with windows and mac (just need to install bonjour?) Designed for Windows but works on Mac too :).

What types of speeds can be expected from the DNS-323 over a wireless connection both for read and write? DNS-321 have the same speed? Thats a hard question since it completely depends on distance from  Wireless AP and environment.

I've read that the DNS-323 doesn't support that many types of printers, I've looked but can't seem to find a printer list, anyone know where I can find out? With SharePort technology pretty much any printer will work.

If I got DNS 323 I would likely only order one drive to start... just wondering if I'm able to an the second drive at any time with out having to reformat the first? You can start with 1 drive and add a second one later. It can be formated as a standard drive or you can convert your first drive to Raid 1 if you were adding the drive for redundancy.

sorry for all the questions.

cultivate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »

What types of speeds can be expected from the DNS-323 over a wireless connection both for read and write? DNS-321 have the same speed? Thats a hard question since it completely depends on distance from  Wireless AP and environment.

Thanks for the input I was really just looking at a ball park read and write speed. I'm interested in what others are getting over a wireless connection.

I've got a wireless G and I'm about 15 feet away. what type of speeds do you think I can expect?

Thanks.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »

Well if you wanna do "Theoretical", at 54Mbps / 8, your maximum throughput not account for overhead is around 6.75Megs / sec. The device on LAN can definitely do more but on 802.11g the limitation is the Wireless.

tamlyn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »

Practical throughput for me with the laptop next to the router on 54g is around 1.8MB/s. Not great but good enough. However I'm having nightmares getting media sharing to work either through Firefly or uPnP. And the device frequently becomes unresponsive and requires restarting. I've downgraded the firmware to see if that helps.

If you like tinkering I reckon you'll be happy with a DNS-323 but if you want something that just works, you may want to look elsewhere (I wish I had).

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »

Well if you wanna do "Theoretical", at 54Mbps / 8, your maximum throughput not account for overhead is around 6.75Megs / sec. The device on LAN can definitely do more but on 802.11g the limitation is the Wireless.

Except that 54mbps is purely theoretical and can never be achieved - you're unlikely to see more than 20~25 mbps reducing the 6.75MByte/sec to a paltry 3MByte/sec at best!
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »

fordem beat me to it, getting 6mbyte/sec from an 802.11g link is a pipe dream!  The real throughput of 802.11g is around 1/2 the raw bit rate, I've personally never gotten more than 2.5mbytes/sec for SMB transfers over a wireless connection.  FTP might do better, it has fewer handshake responses, but I haven't even tried it.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.