• April 19, 2024, 03:14:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What happened to my DIR-615 D1 ?  (Read 8110 times)

markngo

• Level 1 Member
What happened to my DIR-615 D1 ?
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »

Hi all,

I bought 3 months ago a brand new DIR-615 - D1.  Apart from continuous internet connection interruptions since the first day (which I fixed some days later upgrading to 4.11 firmware) everything worked fine until today.

Today I was simply downloading a .torrent file while suddenly (both modem and router had been online since some hours before) router lost internet connection in the same way it did when I bought it (NOTE: modem, which is a standard Ethernet cable modem never lost connectivity).  
In the same way I did before upgrading firmware I unplugged and plugged again power cable and connection was restored but for some reason wireless connection started to give problems, periodically disconnecting my laptop after some minutes (note: uninterrupted solid green led for wireless).

Since I couldn't find any solution I tried to restore default settings with reset button, reconfiguring everything back. This solved the wireless problem (wireless lan is again up without interruptions) but now I can't connect to the internet anymore...internet led is always orange.
Looking at 'status' section of the router I found out that DHCP constantly says 'DHCP client connecting...' without actually being able to do that.

Moreover Ethernet connection through any of the 4 lan ports doesn't work anymore...the router doesn't even reply to ARP requests (but leds are in solid green state when cable is plugged)

The 'strange' thing is that wireless network is perfectly working...that's why I can't really figure out what's going on (...if wireless wasn't working too I would think router is broken, but that's not the case)

Any idea about what's happened and how to get everything working again? (modem works perfectly as I tested connecting it directly to a pc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:09:16 PM by markngo »

uuriasu

• Level 1 Member
Re: What happened to my DIR-615 D1 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »

markngo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »

I wanted to give a try to DD-WRT but found D1 is not supported.

As you said we've got the same problem.  I really can't get why all of a sudden it started not to work...

I'll try to get back to firmware 4.00 or 4.10 to see if it will give me some solution...(in addition I have to do that through wireless which is not recommended...)

carbonic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »

They say D1 is not supported because they don't have a physical D1 to it on. I can from personal experience say it works fine, which is also not that surprising as the hardware is the same.

uuriasu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

markngo can't you prinscr your basic setup , and advanced routing, i like to see if is the same like me

markngo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 03:05:31 AM »

uuriasu: actually my setup is extremely simple, no advance routing options at all and basic configuration is DHCP with no DNS server set. For the wireless config I used the standard DLink wizard. (extremely simple...worked for 3 months without problems)

By the way, I post some updates to my problem, hoping someone managed something similar, because for me it's really impossible to find out what's going on.

Since I couldn't find any solution I decided to follow the advice of carbonic, and installed DD-WRT. Unfortunately nothing...same as before internet led kept yellow (actually I noticed it flashed sometimes) and unable to connect through LAN ports.
At that point I thought about getting back to the original 4.00 firmware. Given the impossibility to downgrade through lan all what I could do was through wireless which didn't work.

At that point (being really frustrated) I tried the 'emergency room' procedure and (just for that!) LAN worked!!

Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to get back to DLink firmware (after successful load of the image when router restarts no wireless led nor lan led) so got back to dd-wrt again with 'emergency room'

I can't really get what's going on...provided lan works for emergency room and wireless works with dd-wrt it must surely be a software problem...

Thanks again for any hint/advice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:10:55 AM by markngo »

uuriasu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:11 AM »

uuriasu: actually my setup is extremely simple, no advance routing options at all and basic configuration is DHCP with no DNS server set. For the wireless config I used the standard DLink wizard. (extremely simple...worked for 3 months without problems)

By the way, I post some updates to my problem, hoping someone managed something similar, because for me it's really impossible to find out what's going on.

Since I couldn't find any solution I decided to follow the advice of carbonic, and installed DD-WRT. Unfortunately nothing...same as before internet led kept yellow (actually I noticed it flashed sometimes) and unable to connect through LAN ports.
At that point I thought about getting back to the original 4.00 firmware. Given the impossibility to downgrade through lan all what I could do was through wireless which didn't work.

At that point (being really frustrated) I tried the 'emergency room' procedure and (just for that!) LAN worked!!

Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to get back to DLink firmware (after successful load of the image when router restarts no wireless led nor lan led) so got back to dd-wrt again with 'emergency room'

I can't really get what's going on...provided lan works for emergency room and wireless works with dd-wrt it must surely be a software problem...

Thanks again for any hint/advice.

"emergency room"-what is that,who can i go there

markngo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »

"emergency room"-what is that,who can i go there

It's an alternative procedure for installing dd-wrt or restore original firmware (unfortunately this latter one didn't worked for me). You can find a complete reference here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-600#Alternate_Install_Method_using_Emergency_Room_Web_Interface

If you want to give it a try do the following (same steps I did):
- set your ethernet card with a static ip address like 192.168.0.x (x != 1)
- unplug power cable from router
- press reset button and keeping it pressed plug power cable
- keep reset button pressed for 3-5 seconds then release
- go to your browser and open 192.168.0.1
- a simple page will be displayed where you will be able to upload an .img file with the firmware

That's all!  When power led will stop flashing the firmware is loaded.

NOTE that for me that worked perfectly (it's the only case in which LAN works) but original firmware from dlink seems not to work anymore (so restored with same procedure the dd-wrt)

Now waiting for someone able to tell me what's going on...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:48:26 AM by markngo »

uuriasu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:51:07 AM »

This is for LAN connection,or is working over the wirreles...
Now my LAN connection is not working...

markngo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:01:04 AM »

Now my LAN connection is not working...

Definitely we have the same problem...

By the way...I found that firmware 4.00 and 4.11 doesn't work when you try to restore them with emergency window, but 4.10 works...I mean I got back to yesterday, with wireless working, internet constantly yellow and lan not working (although dlink test says everything is ok)

I'll try to contact DLink support...hope they have some "magic" patch to fix everything...

uuriasu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:10:02 AM »

Definitely we have the same problem...

By the way...I found that firmware 4.00 and 4.11 doesn't work when you try to restore them with emergency window, but 4.10 works...I mean I got back to yesterday, with wireless working, internet constantly yellow and lan not working (although dlink test says everything is ok)

I'll try to contact DLink support...hope they have some "magic" patch to fix everything...

You have the link for 4.10.
And on your local area connection what ip is set for the emergency window Ip,subnet,gateway
And on the router you have the automatic dynamic,or static (if this tell me what is the ip on)

markngo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:24:00 AM »

You have the link for 4.10.
And on your local area connection what ip is set for the emergency window Ip,subnet,gateway
And on the router you have the automatic dynamic,or static (if this tell me what is the ip on)

You can find 4.10 here: ftp://ftp.dlink.cz/dir/dir-615/driver_software/

Local configuration to access emergency window I used:
192.168.0.2/24. It's on the same subnet of 192.168.0.1 so you don't need to add any gateway (just put a static configuration for your NIC)

Router is set to automatic dynamic but it has nothing to do with emergency window.  

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »

I have D1 with DD-WRT on with latest from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/ and absolutely no problem. Running with it for over 6 months.

I suspect your router might be defective. If it's still covered by warranty I suggest taking it back (with factory firmware on).