• April 24, 2024, 03:32:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Loosing the telnet connection when leaving a session idle for only a few minutes  (Read 5841 times)

jfurman

• Level 1 Member

Not sure where the best place to drop this question.  It is a DIR-601 router.  I have it configured in the virtual servers list as; internal system ip, public port/private port both 23, protocal tcp with inbound filter, allow all and schedule set to always.  I have a second system with a different public port.  I can connect to either one but after a short amount of idle time it appears to just drop the connection.

Thanks,

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!
What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.

Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Is the FTP client programs set up to keep the connection alive? I know that some FTP programs have this option and it needs to be enabled with in the program.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jfurman

• Level 1 Member

I list as many details as I can and what I have done so far.
The only thing that has changed on the network was the original LINKSYS router was replaced with this D-Link DIR-601

Hardware Version is: B1
Firmware Version is: 2.00NA when I use the web interface to check for updates, it claims to be current.

Region is EST (New York)
Network is wired to router.  Outside connections with telnet problems vary.  These all had no timeout issues when LINKSYS was in place.

Haven't done a factory reset.

ISP service is currently cable, switch to DSL on occasion.

I turned off QoS and set the NTP server to ntp1.dlink.com  Couldn't manually set the date as 2012 is the last available year to choose from.

The problem is telneting from outside the network through the modem to an SCO system or an Ubuntu system.  Telnet has no issues from inside the network.

Endpoint Independent is not an option under Advanced/Firewall.

uPnp was enabled, I have enabled IPv4 Mutlicast Streaming under Advanced/Networking.

The SCO system has a static IP and with telnet setup in the virtual server to point to it.

Not using FTP programs outside of the network, only the telnet program.

That's the best I can do for now.

I'll be able to test this over the next couple of days to see if it is handling differently.

Thanks again,

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

I list as many details as I can and what I have done so far.
The only thing that has changed on the network was the original LINKSYS router was replaced with this D-Link DIR-601

Hardware Version is: B1
Firmware Version is: 2.00NA when I use the web interface to check for updates, it claims to be current.
There is a newer version that you can get from the main web site however lets see if we can resolve this any before doing any FW updates. http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/dir-601-wireless-n-150-home-router?revision=us_revb

Region is EST (New York)
Network is wired to router.  Outside connections with telnet problems vary.  These all had no timeout issues when LINKSYS was in place.

Haven't done a factory reset. I would give this a try and set up the router from scratch.

ISP service is currently cable, switch to DSL on occasion. What is the mfr and model numbers of the modems?

I turned off QoS and set the NTP server to ntp1.dlink.com  Couldn't manually set the date as 2012 is the last available year to choose from. Date might be fixed the by FW update. Let us know if NTP works for you. There are some model routers with this 2012 limitation.

The problem is telneting from outside the network through the modem to an SCO system or an Ubuntu system.  Telnet has no issues from inside the network.

Endpoint Independent is not an option under Advanced/Firewall.

uPnp was enabled, I have enabled IPv4 Mutlicast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. If you have set up any Virtual Server or Port Forwarding options, test the connection out with DISABLING uPnP.

The SCO system has a static IP and with telnet setup in the virtual server to point to it. Is the IP address static on this system or is it reserved on the router? You might try reserving the IP address ON the router and test.

Not using FTP programs outside of the network, only the telnet program.

That's the best I can do for now.

I'll be able to test this over the next couple of days to see if it is handling differently.

Keep us posted.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

Timeout is set by a perimeter on the server. What kind of server are you using? Another words, what are you using Telnet to connect to? Its not anything broken, but usually a security measure. Overall your better of using SSH if its a web server on your network. Telnet is a pretty common exploit.