• April 24, 2024, 12:31:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Breaking RAID1  (Read 8610 times)

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
Breaking RAID1
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can change my 323 from RAID1 back to Standard (Individual Disks) and not have to re-format them.

Thanks
Rodney

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Breaking RAID1
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »

Take the disks out - reset the unit using the pin switch at the back - and then reinstall the drives, they should show up as two standard drives, both with the same content.

I don't know if you really need to remove the drives, I was actually fooling around with something else when I found this out.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Macfoo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »

You can also break RAID but downgrading to a lower firmware and back to 1.03

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

You can also break RAID but downgrading to a lower firmware and back to 1.03

I would suggest that you avoid unnecessary firmware flashes - among other reasons - every flash has it's risk of failure - power outages, communication failures etc.  BTW - NEVER flash over wireless.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

have you done that before fordem?  ???

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »

have you done that before fordem?  ???

Have I done what ???  Had a firmware flash go south?  Yes - and more than one.

It did not happen on a DNS-323, but, it you've flashed the firmware on your DNS-323, you've seen the warnings about powering off or resetting the unit, and the download page also carries the warning about flashing over wireless.

mycomputers.ca

• Level 2 Member
    • MY Computers Corp
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »

in regards to your question i had a similar probelm but in my case the striping raid got corrupted after i did scan disk i have firmware 1.3 the data disappered. i had to try to use file scavenger to restore my data and still was unsuccessful.

any idea's or help in my case... any more deatils reply back i have alot of inportant data that needs to be recovered.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »

in regards to your question i had a similar probelm but in my case the striping raid got corrupted after i did scan disk i have firmware 1.3 the data disappered. i had to try to use file scavenger to restore my data and still was unsuccessful.

any idea's or help in my case... any more deatils reply back i have alot of inportant data that needs to be recovered.

What problem are you referring to - no one in this post has mentioned having any problems - this is a discussion on how to break a RAID1 array.

You mention "striping RAID" - if you referring to RAID0 - I think you can pretty much kiss your data goodbye - or - try sending the disks out to a recovery service - a word of warning - expect a fat bill if they are successful.

1)  NEVER, EVER use a RAID0 array as data storage - if a disk fails you're going to lose the data.
2)  IF you value the data - back it up - RAID1 is NOT a form of backup

mycomputers.ca

• Level 2 Member
    • MY Computers Corp
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »

What problem are you referring to - no one in this post has mentioned having any problems - this is a discussion on how to break a RAID1 array.

You mention "striping RAID" - if you referring to RAID0 - I think you can pretty much kiss your data goodbye - or - try sending the disks out to a recovery service - a word of warning - expect a fat bill if they are successful.

1)  NEVER, EVER use a RAID0 array as data storage - if a disk fails you're going to lose the data.
2)  IF you value the data - back it up - RAID1 is NOT a form of backup

oh no yea i know that i was hoping to be refered to data recovery companys that were successful in saving the stripping raid array.

I was offered a really good price when i explained that the deviced made me loose all my data. this data was very important.

but my fault for trusting the device that much anyways.

and it didn't fail the firmware i had on it had scan disc and it corrupted my data.

Rhett

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »

I tried breaking Raid1 by removing the HD's and reseting the unit.  After I did this when I went to Easy search it still only showed 1 drive.

When I try logging into the configurator it gives me an error saying HD's have been installed incorrectly. Please turn off power and swap HD's.  I've done this a couple of times with no luck.  I need help!

I'm going to try only installing 1 HD at a time next, but if anyone has any suggestions please do so.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »

Yeah, the drive configuration information is stored on the drives not the DNS-323 units so a reset will not affect the RAID configuration. You would have to take one of the drives out and remove the partition in your PC then insert it back into the DNS-323 and format it as standard.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

Yeah, the drive configuration information is stored on the drives not the DNS-323 units so a reset will not affect the RAID configuration. You would have to take one of the drives out and remove the partition in your PC then insert it back into the DNS-323 and format it as standard.

I beg to differ - on more than one occasion I have reset my DNS-323 with the drives OUT and on re-installing the drives and powering the unit up, I have ended up with two separate volumes, each containing the same data.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »

That would have to be a bug then. By design the Hard drives store the drive configuration. You can take the drives out of one unit and place them into another DNS-323 and still be a functional RAID with all data intact. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

bspvette86

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:57 AM »

ECF,
I have to agree with fordem.  The unit/Raid config is stored both on the drives AND in the DNS-323.  If the drives don't match the config in the DNS, it behaves badly.

Regards,
BSPvette