• March 28, 2024, 02:55:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgraded to 1.03, now system says Degraded  (Read 3428 times)

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
Upgraded to 1.03, now system says Degraded
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »

I've had my DNS-343 for about 6-8 months now and I had it running the previous BETA release in order to give me the 1.5 TB support for my Seagate drives.  Running 4 1.5 TB drives in a RAID-5 format.

Ran through the V1.03 update, that went fine, thought it was a bit odd that it took FOREVER to boot up, probably 10-15 minutes.  Then it asked me to do the OLED update which I did.  I was in the system last night, trying to add a new printer onto the system and noticed my status was shown as 'degraded'.  I did the SMART status check and all 4 drives came up saying normal.  I then ran the SCANDISK.  After a couple hours, I got a log in prompt for the DNS-343 again, logged in and my Volume_1 had disappeared.  I rebooted the DNS and Volume_1 has reappeared again, but is still showing as degraded, even though all 4 disks are showing as operating normally, and the SMART check verifies they are running normally.

I see there are a few options to rebuild or repair the array, but I've never used those before, and don't want to run the risk of losing all the data on those drives.

Any suggestions?  I'd rather NOT have to buy another external hard drive, capable of handling the 2 TB worth of Data I've got on there at the moment, just to copy it off, rebuild the drives to copy it back.  If it comes to that I'll get another NAS setup and dump the DNS-343.  Sad to think I was just about to order a 'twin' to my home set up for the office here.  Will definitely put that idea on hold until I get mine sorted.

HELP!

Thanks!

Neill
Nassau, Bahamas
US DNS-343, bought through Tiger Direct in Florida

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
Re: Upgraded to 1.03, now system says Degraded
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »

OK...just got back home and looked at the disk diagnostics again.  I had only run the quick SMART test, so I have just kicked off the EXTENDED test and whamoo...disk 1 came up with a FAIL before the others even got to 10%.

Will give it a few more minutes to see how everything else fares...I think I have a spare drive to pop in the array, will see if that helps.

So just to clarify...if I shut down the DNS, then swap out slot 1, then power it back up, I should be abe to go into the setup and kick off an AUTO REBUILD, and it will do everything it needs to do to get that disk back into the full array, without sacrificing the disks in slots 2, 3 and 4?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

If auto-rebuild is already enabled then you will not have to kick off anything your array will be rebuilt as soon as the unit is powered on. If Auto rebuild is not enabled you will need to go and click the Manually Rebuild button to copy the array contents. Of course I am going to say make sure you have backups of your vital information however this function is in no way intended to wipe out any data.

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

ARGH!!

Found where I had my spare drive, logged into the interface to set the auto-rebuild feature, so that when I shut the system down to install the new drive, it would resynch on the boot automatically...and damn if the thing didn't kick off a rebuild right there and then, and now says the following...

The Volume_1 is synchronizing now. Please wait for 1292.4min.

Only problem is, it is trying to synch with the bad drive in it!!

*sigh*

That was totally unproductive...how many hours before the sytem figures out the drive is dead??  21+ hours??

Note to all out there, if auto-rebuild is set to DISABLE...do NOT try to enable it with the bad drive still in there!!

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

this is rediculous...1300+ minutes now...I am going under the assumption if I just unplug it and swap that drive that I'll do some major catastrohic damage to it and lose all my data.