• March 28, 2024, 02:30:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: can i install my DCS-932L outside?  (Read 56480 times)

sandyeggoboy

• Level 1 Member
can i install my DCS-932L outside?
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »

Hello, i want to install my cam outside of my house, just under the roof, so i was wondering if anyone knows if this cam is OK to install this way?  has anyone installed it otside? My reason is becuase i need to wath the back door areea with out capturing the reflection of the window glass.

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
Re: can i install my DCS-932L outside?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »

I guess we will find out together.  Mine is outside.   I made a box (open bottom and front) to shield the camera from the direct weather exposre. I notice camera temperature ratings are for no lower than freezing.

amandasmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:17 AM »

With the DCS-932L set up, the easiest way to test out is via the mydlink webpage and log in using your email address and the password you set up. If everything is working well you should now be able to see your live camera feed as seen below. One thing to note, if you are accessing your mydlink webpage from outside your network and you have UPnP disabled on your router, you will only be able to see the camera feed in 60 second increments

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:21 AM »

I suspect the camera is not rated for outdoor use. Excluding direct contact with water, I would think that humidity and condensation will play the largest role in impacting the life/usability of the camera.

Are you concerned with daytime reflectivity or the IR illuminator reflecting at night? For daytime reflectivity, you can try placing a patch of non-reflective tape on the glass to cover the camera field-of-view. To deal with nighttime reflectivity (due to the IR illuminator), you can purchase an external IR illuminator and cover the DCS-932L on-board IR illuminator with electrical tape.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:49:49 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:25:36 AM »

I suspect the camera is not rated for outdoor use.

It is not, for sure.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:06 AM »

It is not, for sure.

I know that just from looking at the casing, but without seeing an "explicit" statement from D-Link stating as much (in either the manual or specs), I'm avoiding making an unequivocal statement.  ;D

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »

I agree.  I based this statement off the operating specs i saw on the web page.  I also believe the box specified indoor use.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:49:11 PM by oberkc »

pigl3t

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:33 AM »

Hey. Just like oberkc i was thinking to build a box with only front open and see what happens. I`m mostly worried about humidity and frost.
oberkc, let me know how your DCS handles outside. What`s the temperature range in your area?

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:21 AM »

I am in Ohio.  Temperature extremes are -10 to 98 type numbers.  Last couple of nights saw temperatures below 20. 

pigl3t

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »

Thanks for the info. About the same climate as here. How long have you been keeping it outside? i assume it`s still working :).
Can`t wait to install mine also. I was thinking to place it in an open face Thermocole box..

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »

I am new to IP cameras.  This is the first winter.  Still working.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »

I am new to IP cameras.  This is the first winter.  Still working.

Not knowing how this camera will operate when exposed to the elements, I would be concerned with the spring thaw, condensation, possible shorts, and corrosion. ???
We'll find out net year... :-\

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »

Not knowing how this camera will operate when exposed to the elements, I would be concerned with the spring thaw, condensation, possible shorts, and corrosion.

Agreed.  I believe the consequences are more long-term.  While they will work in the cold, they may not last very long.

Condensation is probably not an issue, to me.  My experience suggests that this is more from sudden shifts in environment, such as sudden movements from outside to in, or vice versa, resulting in devices where their temperature is greatly different from the ambient environment.  However, humidity is equally a problem.

I am not sure that I intend to keep mine outside.  I am still exprimenting around with different devices and placement, both inside and out.  Besides environment, I am finding other reasons that I prefer the -932 inside...specifically, the range (or lack) of the night vision.  I find that the -932 simply lacks enough range to be useful outslide, in my application.  I have just installed a Foscam exterior camera and find it performs much better outside.  I expect that I will end up moving the DLinc -932 inside and replacing it with something better for the outside.  This is all still a work in progress.

macortim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »

I do have a few cameras looking out windows from the inside.  But with the inherent problems of the IR (and the glare from the sun) and windows I have placed four DCS-932L cameras outside of my house.  The cameras outside are all "protected" from the elements by the overhangs of the porch and patio where they are located.  They have been operating since October.  No problems yet.

At first I was a little worried about someone seeing the one on the front patio and just taking it.  I have had at least four people come to the front door and not even notice it.  One person even was looking towards the ceiling and didn't notice it.  It is located behind them.  I didn't really try to hide it other than placing it in the least conspicuous spot.  I would like to change the color of the camera and the base.  Obviously painting the base isn't going to damage it.  Does anyone think that painting the camera enclosure would have any negative effects (heat dissipation)?

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »

My guess is negligible, unless in direct sun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4