• April 26, 2024, 02:23:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wireless Restarts Cracked  (Read 45430 times)

whitey019

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wireless Restarts Cracked
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:58 AM »

mpb...you did it!  All I did was disable SEP's firewall on that toublesome system and lo and behold everything works (so far anyway).  But, someone is going to have to explain to me how/why Symantec EP's Firewall can cause the router to have wireless restarts.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »

Symantec?  ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

whitey019

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »

Just to follow up.  Everything is working perfectly now that I have disabled Symantec EndPoint's (SEP) firewall on that offending system.  That's 3 days without a hiccup and I expect it will continue that way.  I still would like to know how SEP could cause wireless problems on a router.

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

is it doing something weird with upnp?  I have a machine with SEP and it itself has nothing but connection issues.
rest of the network seems fine 90% of the time.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »

SEP is causing the issues. It's even capable of causing wireless resets.

Yammer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

From a Noob in Sweden with DIR-655 Firmware Version : 1.21EU,  2008/11/03

I have same problem with one of my laptops but not with the other laptop and not with my Mac that has both WIFI and wired Gbit connected.

Have left all systems off but when the one laptop (HP EliteBook 2530P) is connected the wireless goes down and up in cycles, just as you other guys have described it.

Strange thing is, that very laptop did NOT cause problem before I installed all the latest updates from Microsoft. And also other drivers may have been updated since it is my job computer and the IT dept keep pushing stuff out without me knowing it.

I am convinced there is something on the laptop that causes this problem with thr WIFI. Best guess is the Symantec Antivirus Full Version 10.1.5.5000 or CheckPoint VPN-1 Secure Client. Or could it be Windows IE8?

I will experiment with disabling one at a time. Will keep you posted.

PS Portion from the log , this keeps repeating:
INFO] Fri Jun 12 11:55:18 2009 Yammer: Wireless system with MAC address *********** disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication
[INFO] Fri Jun 12 11:55:14 2009 Yammer: Wireless system with MAC address *********** associated
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:51:44 AM by Yammer »

pgavril

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »

I am having the same problem with my EGreat M34a NMT with TPLink USB Wifi Dongle, but obviously no trace of Symantec intrusion under Linux.  :D :)
The connection speed reported by DIR655: about 300Mbit and 92% strength
Dir 655 has 1.31NA stock (no beta)
I am using DIR655 for G and N with WPA2. The old MS router is wired to it as access point for a differently named SSID for WEP access. This one is using channel1 apart of DIR 655 - 11th channel
What I've noticed that I am having this problem only in N connection, G adapters are working fine with same security settings - WPA2 Personal, AES. auto channel, 20/40, SSID broadcast

But I'd like to play with setting on DIR 655 QOS for video streaming and change some advanced wireless settings. I'll report results...
As a last resort I was thinking to use Asus RT15 as a bridge and connect NMT through wire to it and see if problem will go away

IMHO, this product was crappy and still is crappy with all those N and other upcoming products and constantly changing firmware introducing new problems...
Peter

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »

IMHO, this product was ****py and still is ****py with all those N and other upcoming products and constantly changing firmware introducing new problems...
Peter

IMHO, this product is freakin' awesome and if corporate hadn't forced the engineers to make USB port sharing the single number one priority on the planet because they spent so much money on advertising and press because they let marketing guys tell engineering what is possible even though the laws of physics say otherwise, I'd say about half the scuttlebut on this forum wouldn't be here.

Is your wireless NIC made by D-Link and chosen from the list of NIC's that "Work with" the DIR-655? Now, what follows is only my opinion and not backed by any scientific or engineering proof and if I get squashed like a bug, so be it, but if you are using Brand-X's NIC because you think it is better or for whatever reason, you've already gotten off on the wrong foot. When I chose the DIR-655 I immediately grabbed 2 DWA-652's with it. I wasn't about to take a chance that buying a different brand because it was cheaper or got better reviews might cause my router to not do the things that were advertised. I update the NIC drivers and software if there is a newer version. If I start out with all things D-Link, and I eliminate any outside influences (sun spots, somebody using an arc welder in the same room), I make sure all of my computer drivers are up to date, my OS is up to date, my PC hardware is healthy, my browser works with the router interface, I input the correct settiings for my ISP, my Wife is Happy, then and only THEN would I begin to suspect that something is fishy in Denmark. If you have done all of these things and now you are ready punch me in the nose, let me first hide behind Xinot, or Fatman.
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

J410Berry

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »

My laptop workes fine on wireless with the SEP firewall configured. 

It also works fine when physically connected to the router and SEP firewall configured,  but while connected physically, my wireless signal drops all my other wireless devices.  When I disable SEP's Firewall, my other wireless devices work fine.

I monitored my signal from another computer and watched the signal just become unstable every time a wired computer with SEP's Firewall enabled connected to my network.  As soon as I disable SEP firewall, the wireless signal becomes stable and all my devices reconnect.

Any ideas on what could cause SEP Firewall to cause this issue for wireless systems when it is running on a wired system?

RobG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »

So, I was somewhat skeptical at first, but the more I read the more excited I got...  I too have been plagued by wireless restarts, and been run through the ridiculous setting changes requested by tech support.  I too have a hard-wired PC connected to my router, and it toois running Symantec Endpoint Protection.  And, now that I was tipped off to check it out in more detail, at long last I seem to have a possible lead. 

I've been able to correlate the wireless restarts to a burst of ipV6 packets (type 0x86DD) showing as "blocked" in my SEP traffic log.  When I compare the logs, it's clear that both are happening at the same time, though not completely clear as to the true cause.  I'll post more and let you know what I find out.

RobG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »

Man, I hope I'm not gonna jinx myself...  Switched Symantec Endpoint Protection's default "block ipV6" rule to allow ipV6 traffic.  Lo and Behold, I survived the last burst without a wireless restart!  I'd seen wireless restart about every 5-7 minutes, and in 100% of the cases (15 out of 15) it was correlated within 15 seconds or so of a burst of ipV6 traffic getting blocked.

Try enabling ipV6 traffic in SEP and let me know if you see the same result!!!

Rob G.

claykin

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 06:27:10 AM »

How about upgrading your Endpoint Protection to 11.0MR4 MP2?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=54619

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »

when using corporate machines you don't get to pick your software versions or upgrade them when you like claykin.  and typically people are using SEP because their company tells them to.

I will inquire at my work about he IPv6 blocking and see if the network admin can change that one for me.

Edit - side note.. I just checked and the IPv6 blocking is turned on.  oh and I do get restarts anywhere from 5-15 minutes apart.  this is also a new laptop since my last post.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:40:18 PM by Arvald »

RobG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 06:17:08 AM »

So, allowing the ipV6 traffic has **almost** completely elmiinated my restart problem.  Literally I was having this issue every 5-7 minutes, and now I've only had 3 or 4 in the last 5 days.  By the way, I was running SEP 11.0.4014.26.

420Ryme

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »

Whitey! Thank you so much for figuring this issue out. I have the DIR-615 RevB and recently reloaded my machine. When I did so I reinstalled SEP and decided to install the network monitoring and firewall portion as well and that caused all hell to break loose with my router. I spent all day searching for a fix and shopping for a new router as well until I found your thread. Home from work, two seconds to disable the SEP firewall and here I am online with wireless enabled and devices connected.

Here is a link to my little thread that I started this morning for S n G's.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7134.0

Thanks again!

D-Link! STICKY THIS THREAD!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4